The City has four drop-off recycling centers. These centers have recycling containers for residents and small businesses to deposit single stream recyclables. The drop-off centers are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- S. Whiting Street (At the end of S. Whiting Street, intersecting at Tower Court)
- 3224 Colvin Street
- 4251 Eisenhower Avenue
- Jones Point Park (On the left, at the end of S. Royal Street, heading South)
Please place the correct material in the correct container
- Mixed containers: Aluminum & steel cans and plastic bottles & jugs.
- Mixed Paper: Newspaper, magazines, catalogs, white & colored paper, junk mail, phone books, paperback books, non-greasy pizza boxes, paperboard (cereal/cracker boxes, paper towel rolls, soda boxes, etc.), and junk mail including all envelopes.
- Flattened, Empty Cardboard
- Styrofoam Blocks and Packing Peanuts
- Plastic Bags, Wraps or Film of any kind
- Pots and Pans
- Glass Bottles and Jars: Glass is not accepted in the blue single stream recycling bin. Use the Purple Glass Bin to drop off glass!
- Plastic cups, trays and containers: While all plastics are potentially recyclable, the market dictates which types of plastics are currently acceptable. Plastic items that are typically non-recyclable include:
- Clam shell type plastic fruit or salad containers
- Styrofoam cups and trays
- Tanglers - (Garden hoses, cables, chains)
- Ceramic Cups and Glasses, Window Glass, Pyrex
- Food Waste - (including plastic wrappers, packets, sauce cups)
- Clothes, linens, and other textiles - (please donate these materials)
- Small / large propane tanks (i.e. camping stove propane tanks).
- Helium Tanks
- Other Hazardous Waste and Electronic Waste: Please visit the City's permanent Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Center
For more information on recycling plastics, please read the following article " Recycling Plastic: Complications and Limitations."
The City is pleased to launch glass drop-off centers across Alexandria to provide an option to recover and recycle glass. Purple glass only drop-off bins have been placed at the City's four recycling drop-off centers. Read more information on glass recovery including additional locations and what items are accepted and not accepted.
As the markets change and develop, what is and is not recyclable may change. The City of Alexandria's Recycling Program will work to keep you informed about what is and is not recyclable.