The City has four drop-off recycling centers. These centers have recycling containers for residents and small businesses to deposit single stream recyclables. The drop-off centers are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- S. Whiting Street (At the end of S. Whiting Street, intersecting at Tower Court)
- 3224 Colvin Street
- 4251 Eisenhower Avenue
- Jones Point Park (On the left, at the end of S. Royal Street, heading South)
Please place the correct material in the correct container
- Mixed containers: Aluminum & steel cans and plastic bottles & jugs.
- Mixed Paper: Newspaper, magazines, catalogs, white & colored paper, junk mail, phone books, hard back books, pizza boxes, paperboard (cereal/cracker boxes, paper towel rolls, soda boxes, etc.), and junk mail including all envelopes.
- Flattened Cardboard
- Styrofoam and Packing Peanuts
- Plastic Bags
- Pots and Pans
Glass Bottles and Jars: Glass is not accepted in the blue single stream recycling bin. Use the Purple Glass Bin to drop off glass!
- Non-accepted plastic containers and bags: Plastic containers are made with different types of plastic and are formed differently. This causes these containers to melt at a different temperature. To know which plastic containers your recycling program accepts, contact your property manager or owner. Plastic grocery bags are collected at most neighborhood grocery stores.
- For more information on recycling plastics, please read the following article " Recycling Plastic: Complications and Limitations."
The City is pleased to launch glass drop-off centers across Alexandria to provide an option to recover and recycle glass. Purple glass only drop-off bins have been placed at the City's four recycling drop-off centers. For more information on glass recovery and what items are accepted and not accepted, please click here.
As the markets change and develop, what is and is not recyclable may change. The City of Alexandria's Recycling Program will work to keep you informed about what is and is not recyclable.