- The annual Solid Waste Hauler Permitting process is underway. Notification letters were sent out to haulers May 1, 2020. Haulers are required to be permitted by June 30, 2020. Please click here to submit your solid waste hauler permit application or contact (703) 746-4135 for assistance.
The City of Alexandria requires all solid waste and recycling haulers to obtain permits for all vehicles and containers used in the collection of waste materials including municipal solid waste (MSW), construction and demolition debris (C&D), yard trimmings/waste, fats, oils & grease (FOG), food waste, bulk waste and recyclables generated within the City limits
(City Municipal Code 5-1-51).
Permits are issued once a year on July 1, and are valid for a period of one year (July 1 to June 30). Any permits issued after July 1 are valid only for the remainder of the current fiscal year (June 30).
Please review the following documents for more information about the solid waste hauler permitting process.
- Hauler Notification Letter
- Hauler Permitting Fact Sheet
- Hauler Standards of Care
- Right of Way Permit Application
- Solid Waste/Recycling Hauler Permit Application
Solid Waste Hauler Fees for Vehicles
Mechanized and Non-mechanized vehicles: $300
Pickup Trucks: $150
Solid Waste Hauler Fees for Containers
Containers less than 10 cubic yards: $3
Containers greater than or equal to 10 cubic yards: $5
Solid Waste Hauler Fee Payments
Payments may be made by check or credit card. Please make all checks payable to the City of Alexandria or call 703.746.4035 to pay by credit card.
All permitted solid waste haulers are required to submit an annual tonnage report to the City ( City of Alexandria Municipal Code 5-1-50). Notification of the requirement to submit the Annual Solid Waste /Recycling Tonnage Report is sent on or around January 1. The Report collects information on:
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW / Trash)
- Reuse of MSW and/or Construction and Demolition debris
- Disposal locations for the previous year (January 1 to December 31)
For your convenience, the form for this Annual Tonnage Report is now available online as a PDF file that may be completed and submitted electronically. Please use the Internet Explorer browser to fill out data and submit the form online. Alternatively, please download the form and use Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat to complete data and submit the form electronically. Supporting documents may be submitted as an attachment to the Annual Tonnage Report form. All reports must be submitted by March 15, 2020.