Changes to Alexandria Spring Cleanup
The City of Alexandria eliminated its targeted Spring Cleanup bulk trash pickup program during the 2020 budget process, but residents can place large items curbside on their regular trash pickup day any time of year. Only metal items require a service request; otherwise, put large items out for pickup whenever you want, whether it’s spring or not. For more information on preparing large items for City trash collection, visit alexandriava.gov/RefuseCollection.
City Residential Resource Recovery customers only.
- Yard waste
- Improperly prepared paints
- Hazardous materials
- Unbundled brush or loose yard waste
- Incorrectly prepared sharp items
- Building materials (such as bricks, drywall, shingles and lumber)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why has the City of Alexandria eliminated its Spring Cleanup program?
Alexandria’s Fiscal Year 2020 budget converted the City’s annual weekend Spring Cleanup service to ongoing bulk trash pickup throughout the year. This change both provides cost savings for the City and allows residents to place bulk items out for curbside collection on their regular trash day throughout the year.
2. What items are eligible for curbside bulk trash pickup?
All of the items you would place curbside during spring cleanup, including couches, tables, furniture, etc. can be set out with your regular trash on your regular collection day. Mattress must be wrapped in a plastic bag to protect workers. The City encourages residents to consider donation before setting out these items as trash. For additional information on acceptable bulk trash items, see the ineligible items list or visit alexandriava.gov/RefuseCollection.
3. Who is eligible for bulk item pickup?
Only City residential Resource Recovery customers are eligible for curbside bulk trash pickup.
4. Where do I place my bulk items?
Place them where you normally place your trash can and recycling cart: typically curbside, except for some Old Town residents. If you are unsure where to place your trash, please call 311 or 703.746.4311.
5. I receive walk-out trash service; can I request this for my bulk items?
The City does not offer walk-out service for bulk items at this time.
6. Can I schedule a weekend pickup for my items?
Weekend pickup is not available.
For additional questions about curbside bulk trash collection, visit alexandriava.gov/RefuseCollection or call 703.746.4311.