Community collaboration over the course of the What’s Next Alexandria process resulted in three key elements:
- Principles for civic engagement.
- Standard Framework for civic engagement.
- Tools and Strategies for communications and engagement.
Together, these important pieces make up Alexandria’s Civic Engagement Handbook, which serves as a guide for public decision-making processes in the city. The Handbook is for community members and City staff who will work together to improve or expand:
- Understanding about how to participate in public decision-making in Alexandria.
- Knowledge about planning and development in Alexandria.
- Skills to participate in civic engagement processes in a meaningful way.
- Participation to include a broad representation of our diverse city.
- Solutions for cooperative, productive, and sustainable public decision-making.
More Information about the What’s Next process
- Developing Alexandria's Civic Engagement Handbook
- Community Dialogue & Online Engagement History
- Community Feedback
- Resources & Other Opportunities to Get Involved