Dogs in Alexandria
Fenced Dog Parks:
Simpson Stadium Park at Monroe Avenue (map)
Duke Street east of the Charles E. Beatley, Jr. Library (map)
Montgomery Park at the corner of Fairfax and 1st Streets(map)
Ben Brenman Park by Backlick Creek (map)
Dog Run Park at Carlyle, 450 Andrew’s Ln. (map)
Unfenced Sites / Dog Exercise Areas:
|Founders Park at Oronoco Street and Union Street (map)|
Windmill Hill Park at Gibbon and Union Streets (map)
Southeast corner of Braddock Road and Commonwealth (map)
Hooff's Run, east of Commonwealth between Oak and Chapman Streets (map)
Ft. Williams Parkway at Dearborn Rd (map)
Tarleton Park (map)
Chambliss Street (map)
North Fort Ward Park (map)
W. Timberbranch Parkway and Parkway Terrace* (map)
Chinquapin Park (map)
Monticello Park (map)
Four Mile Run Park / Edison Street cul-de-sac (map)
Mount Jefferson Park / W&OD Railroad at Raymond Avenue* (map)
Bollards define unfenced dog exercise area boundaries.
Dog Park / Exercise Area Rules & Regulations
For the enjoyment of City residents and their dogs, the following rules apply at the Dog Parks and Exercise Areas:
- Dog areas are open from sunrise to sunset
- All dogs must be under their handlers’ control.
- Only three dogs per handler are allowed.
- Dogs must be on leash when entering and exiting the park. Each handler must have a leash in hand at all other times.
- No dogs in heat are allowed.
- Only dogs 4 months and older are allowed.
- Dogs must be legally licensed, vaccinated and wearing both current tags.
- Handlers must keep their dogs in view at all times.
- Any bite occurring to a person or dog must be immediately reported to Alexandria Animal Control. Persons and dogs involved must wait for an officer to respond, except when immediate medical care is needed.
- Unleashed dogs must remain within the boundaries of the dog exercise area, as defined by bollards.
- Handlers may not permit dogs to bark incessantly or to the annoyance of neighbors.
- Handlers must immediately pick up all feces and dispose of them in trash receptacles.
- Aggressive dogs (defined as dogs posing a threat to human beings or other dogs) are not allowed at any time. Handlers are legally responsible for their dogs, and any injury or damage to facilities caused by them.
In addition to the above rules, the following applies at Fenced Dog Parks:
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult when inside the fenced dog area.
- Food is not allowed inside the fenced dog area. Non-alcoholic beverages are allowed.
If people are not abiding by these regulations, please contact Alexandria Animal Control at 703-746-4774
Use of the parks are subject to the Alexandria City Code, including, but not limited to sections
6-1-2.2, 5-7-35, 5-7-42, 5-7-40, 5-7-38, 5-7-47