The tavern was the setting for dancing assemblies, theatrical and musical performances, and meetings of local organizations. George Washington enjoyed the hospitality provided by tavernkeepers and twice attended the annual Birthnight Ball held in his honor. Other prominent patrons included John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, and the Marquis de Lafayette.
Take a moment to journey back to the 18th-century tavern and hotel where famous historical figures and everyday people dined and slept. Learn about the history, architecture, decorative arts, social customs, food, and clothing of a past era.
- Are you a Girl Scout Leader and want information about next years programs? Download our 2015-2016 flyers for the Museum's Program and Journey events. Tickets for all Girl Scout programs will be available online.
- Restoration of the Ice Well is officially complete! Learn more about the
Ice Well Restoration or see the progress through the Museum's
- Visit the
Historic Alexandria Calendar for a full list of events.
History at your Fingertips
- Receive Tavern-E Times eNews. To receive information about Gadsby’s Tavern Museum programs, special events, and more, update your subscription or subscribe to
- Like us on
Facebook and be the first to hear about the news of the day!
- Follow Mr. Gadsby on
- See the Museum in a new light through
- Explore, learn, and share on the Museum's
- See what other visitors are saying about Gadsby's Tavern Museum on
Other Important Links
National Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
American Alliance of Museums