Don't let a long commute put your right to vote at risk. You may be eligible to vote by absentee ballot!
Virginia Law allows voters to absentee vote if they are "working and commuting to/from home for 11 or more hours between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Election Day."
DO THE MATH!
Work Day = 8 hours
Lunch = 1 hour
Commute = 2 hours
TOTAL = 11 hours
Is your total commute to and from work less than 2 hours some days, but more on other days?
Don't take a gamble...
Don't let traffic jams, metro service disruptions, or bad weather cost you your most precious right!
For more details, call 703.746.4050.
November 3, 2015 General Election
On Tuesday, November 3 there will be a General Election in Alexandria for Virginia State Senate and House of Delegates, Alexandria Mayor, City Council and School Board.
- The voter registration deadline for this election will be October 13.
- Absentee voting will begin on September 18. For more information including absentee applications and in-person absentee hours, go to our Absentee Voting page.
- Sample ballots will be posted in August; until then, the list of candidates and districts are linked below:
- List of Candidates includes the names of all candidates who are running for office in Alexandria. Each voter in the City will see five contests on their ballot: Mayor, City Council, one State Senate district, one House of Delegates district and one School Board district.
- Polling Place Addresses and Election Districts links individual precincts with their state and local election districts.
- Overseas and military voters will find more information about absentee voting on the Virginia Department of Elections website.
Online Voter Registration Applications
You may submit a voter registration application online through Virginia's Department of Elections website. You may also view and update your voter information at this site. If you would like to submit a paper registration application, you can use the form on our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
Virginia Photo ID Requirements
Virginia voters must show photo identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Don't have photo ID? You may apply for a FREE photo ID at our office any time we are open, including Election Day. We are located at 132 North Royal Street, Suite 100. Our hours are Monday - Friday from 8am to 5pm. This ID is valid for voting purposes only. On Election Day we are open from 6am to 7pm.
When you get to our office (1) you will fill out a short application, (2) we will take your picture and get your signature, (3) you will receive a temporary photo ID which you may use for this election, and (4) you will receive your permanent voter photo identification card in the mail within two weeks. If you need to update your name or address, you may do that at the same time you come in for your ID.
Precinct Changes Effective with June 9, 2015 Primary Election
At the March 14, 2015 Public Hearing, City Council adopted an ordinance to make two precinct changes beginning with the June 9, 2015 Primary Election.
- Replace St. James Church (5000 Echols Avenue) with the Hermitage (5000 Fairbanks Avenue) as a polling location with no change to precinct boundaries.
- Add Charles Houston Recreation Center (901 Wythe Street) as a new precinct and polling location, carved from Fire Department (900 Second Street) and Durant Center (1605 Cameron Street). This map shows the new boundaries for Charles Houston, Fire Department and Durant precincts.
- Voters who will be affected by these changes were mailed new voter information cards in mid-May.
- The 2015 Precinct Map is posted here.
More About Elections & Voting in Alexandria
Voting in Alexandria
Alexandria's eScan Voting System
Absentee Voting Information
Election Results and Recent History
Other Election Links
Alexandria Electoral Board
Susan B. Kellom, Secretary
Donald E. Ledwig, Chairman
John F. "Jack" Powers, Vice Chair
Eric Spicer, Elections Administrator
Registrar of Voters
For voter registration and absentee inquiries - Please include full name, current address, and date of birth.
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314