The Office of Environmental Quality (OEQ) administers the City's air, water, and noise improvement programs, which help preserve and protect the environment and public health and welfare. More...
Stay informed with eNews! - Receive information about programs, special events, community meetings, current Eco-City Alexandria events, and more. Subscribe to eNews category T&ES Environmental News.
Check This Out!
City Recognizes Closure of GenOn Potomac River Generating Station
For decades, the GenOn Potomac River Generating Station was one of the largest sources of air pollutants in Northern Virginia. The closure of this facility today was a culmination of outreach and civic engagement from residents and local officials for more than 10 years. Closing down this coal-fired power plant is consistent with the City’s Eco-City Alexandria’s Environmental Action Plan, which focuses on environmental sustainability and long-range environmental planning efforts. For more information, visit www.alexandriava.gov/GenOn.
- Visit the Virtual Green Building Resource Center
The Green Building Resource Center (GBRC) is one of the City's latest Eco-City Alexandria initiatives, offering citizens and business owners information on how to reduce energy and water consumption and operating costs by offering practical solutions to design, build and maintain their spaces in an eco-friendly manner. We welcome all citizens to visit the site periodically for new technical articles, event updates, and local case studies at http://www.alexandriava.gov/gbrc.
- Take the Eco-City Challenge to learn ways to:
- Reduce your carbon footprint
- Reduce air, water, and solid waste pollution
- Reduce resource consumption
- Reduce water and energy costs
- Improve your indoor environment
- Improve your health and the health of the environment
Awards and Accomplishments
- More News & Events
OEQ performs the following tasks in an effort to achieve the environmental goals established in the City Council's Strategic Plan (Adopted 2004, Revised 2006 & 2010) which states that "Alexandria respects, protects and enhances the health of its citizens and the quality of its natural environment."
- Monitors air and water quality.
- Investigates pollution complaints.
- Reviews development plans with regard to water quality impacts.
- Ensures compliance with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act.
- Issues noise variance permits.
- Inspects stormwater management facilities.
- Supports open space preservation.
- Participates in stormwater management and watershed planning and restoration initiatives.
- Responds to citizen questions and concerns and provides information to the public on how to protect and improve the environment.
Additionally, OEQ advises and works with other City agencies and divisions on matters that impact the environment, and provides staff support to the City’s Environmental Policy Commission, which studies and makes recommendations on various projects and program initiatives that may have environmental impacts. The Commission meets on a monthly basis.