- Fill out the Environmental Action Plan feedback form and help the City plan for the future of Alexandria's environment
The Environmental Action Plan is the City’s blueprint for creating a thriving, sustainable community. In June 2009, the City adopted the comprehensive Environmental Action Plan 2030, aimed at achieving the vision and principles outlined in the City’s Eco-City Charter and ensuring the City continues to move toward environmental sustainability. The update process involves City residents, businesses, staff and the Environmental Policy Commission.
The Eco-City Café took place on Saturday, March 10, at 9 a.m. at the Durant Center.
- Eco-City Café Meeting Presentation
- Recording of the March 10 Eco-City Café
The Environmental Action Plan Update kickoff meeting took place on Monday, December 4, at 7 p.m., in City Hall.
- December 4 - Environmental Action Plan Update Kickoff Meeting Presentation
- Recording of the December 4 Environmental Action Plan Update Kickoff Meeting
Read more about the City's ongoing environmental efforts:
What is Eco-City Alexandria?
Eco-City Alexandria is a holistic strategic effort to achieve sustainability. The initiative began with the release of the GreenVentory in 2007. The Eco-City Charter was adopted in 2008 and the Environmental Action Plan has guided the implementation of the City's environmental programming since 2009.
What is a Sustainable Community?
A sustainable community is an environmentally, economically, and socially healthy place where people can live, work and play for decades to come.
- Ecological sustainability ensures that all parts of the natural and built environments work together as a single ecological system.
- Economic sustainability ensures a healthy economy that supports and sustains people and the environment in which they live over the long term.
- Social sustainability ensures that a community meets residents' basic health and social needs and has the resiliency to prevent and/or address problems in the future.
Progress Reports on Eco-City and Environmental Action Plan 2030
Background on Eco-City Alexandria
In 2007, the Eco-City Alexandria team conducted an inventory of existing City programs to create " Eco-City Alexandria: A Green-Ventory of City Environmental Policies, Plans and Programs". In addition, Virginia Tech examined best practices from across the country and abroad to create a Compendium of Model Programs and Practices.
In 2008, the project team focused on the development of an Eco-City Charter. An extensive public outreach campaign was devised to ensure that the Charter reflects the wishes and priorities of the citizens. A successful Eco-City Café was held to obtain public inputs required for the development of a draft Charter. This draft Charter was then released for public comment at the following annual Alexandria Earth Day. A very successful Eco-City Summit was then held to get additional public feedback on the draft Charter. The keynote speaker for this summit was Mayor Bob Harvey of the City of Waitakere, New Zealand, a pioneer of Eco-City and sustainability. The Eco-City Charter, one of the first of its kind in the country, was unanimously adopted by City Council in June 2008. This Charter encompasses the core values and ten guiding principles which is the basis for the Environmental Action Plan.
The Environmental Action Plan 2030 (EAP 2030) was adopted by City Council in June 2009 and follows the guiding principles outlined in the Eco-City Charter. It serves as a road map for City leaders and residents to implement the Eco-City Charter. The EAP 2030 outlines 48 goals, 50 targets and 353 actions for the next 20 years to lead the City towards environmental sustainability.
The Alexandria Environmental Policy Commission is the City's principal environmental policy advisory group along with representatives from City Council and City staff. The Director of the City's Office of Environmental Quality serves as the City's project manager.
- Eco-City Progress Report & Key Environmental Indicators
- Environmental Action Plan 2030
- Eco-City Alexandria Background information
- Eco-City Charter
- Eco-City Charter (Spanish Version)
- Eco-City Clean Waterways
- Alexandria's Climate Change Initiatives
- Alexandria Energy and Climate Change Action Plan
Sign-up today for Environmental Quality E-News to receive updates on volunteer opportunities and environmental events.