Food Trucks in Alexandria
The City of Alexandria has adopted regulations that allow food truck vending in designated on- and off-street locations, designated parks and recreation centers, authorized farmers' markets, and on private or multi-family properties, with permission from the property owner. To operate a food truck in Alexandria, a vendor must obtain a Mobile Food Truck Vendor Permit.
Vendors who already have permits may begin vending in the designated locations. See list of permitted vendors.
Food Truck Vending Locations
Food truck vending is allowed in Alexandria at the following locations.
- Three designated on-street locations ( Map [PDF])
- The 800 block of N. West Street, north of Madison Street, near the Braddock Road Metro (space for 2 food trucks)
- The 1700 block of King Street adjacent to King Street Gardens (space for 3 food trucks)
- The 2200 block of Eisenhower Avenue, near Mill Road (space for 3 food trucks)
- Designated parks and recreation centers ( Map [PDF])
- As part of an authorized farmers' market
- On private commercial or multi-family properties, with permission from the property owner
A permitted food truck may operate at the above locations between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday for up to four continuous hours at a time.
Food trucks are to use these locations on a first-come, first-served basis. At this time, no on-street vending locations have been assigned to any specific vendor.
Permits and Fees
Application and Permits
To operate a food truck in the City of Alexandria, a vendor must obtain a Mobile Food Truck Permit. The application process starts with a Health Department inspection and ends with the final permit being issued at the Alexandria Permit Center.
City Council has voted to waive the $250 Mobile Food Truck Vendor Fee for the 2016 permit year. Additional pertinent fees, such as the Food Truck Application fee ($100), Health Department Permit fee ($290), Fire Prevention Permit fee ($186.19), and the Business License fee ($250) will still apply.
If you have a complaint:
- Report a Food Truck Policy violation online.
- After hours and weekends, call the Police non-emergency number at 703.746.4444.