Market Square, 301 King Street.
Saturdays - 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. - Year-Round
Free parking in the Market Square garage during Farmers' Market hours
No pets are allowed in Market Square during the Farmers' Market
The Old Town Farmers' Market is the oldest farmers' market in the country held continuously at the same site. George Washington sent his produce from Mount Vernon to be sold at our Farmer's Market. Today, the market offers residents of and visitors to Alexandria a way to reconnect to the past while participating in an ongoing local and national tradition. During the peak season, there are more than 70 vendors offering fruits and vegetables, meat, poultry, cheeses, breads, pastries, fresh pasta, pickled vegetables, cut flowers, potted plants, soaps, jewelry, and art.
Interested in Becoming a Vendor at the Old Town Farmers' Market?
The 2017 vendor application will open on Manage My Market on November 15, 2016. Click here go to our application (you must first create a login and profile).
Acceptance to the OTFM as a new vendor is highly competitive and preferential consideration is given to vendors who:
- Produce themselves, through a family member or with a direct employee, the items they intend to sell at market;
- Offer a quality product unique to the OTFM, as determined by the Market Manager;
- Are located within 100 miles of the OTFM;
- Offer a consumable good (agriculture-based or value added), keeping in line with the USDA's definition of a farmers' market as a place where "farmer-producers sell agricultural products directly to the general public at a central or fixed location, particularly fresh fruit and vegetables (but also meat products, dairy products, and/or grains)"; and
- Demonstrate the ability to market and sell in a location that can see over 7,000 customers in peak season. Vendors are encouraged to include pictures of your product and tent setup and/or contact information for manager of markets where you currently sell.
Final acceptance, placement and calendar of vendors is at the discretion of the Market Manager and the Old Town Farmers' Market Rules Committee.
SNAP/EBT & Double Dollar Program
The Old Town Farmers' Market accepts SNAP/EBT (food stamps) and offers SNAP/EBT customers up to $20 in matching incentive funds.
For more information about SNAP and gleaning programs at the market contact our SNAP/Gleaning Coordinator: Margaret.Livelsberger@alexandriava.gov.
Bike for Good Food Rescue at the Old Town Farmers' Market
Bike for Good is a unique community volunteer program at the Old Town Farmers' Market. The goal is to transport donated fresh, locally grown food from the Farmer's Market using bicycles to area locations serving low-income and at-risk Alexandria residents. Watch our video about this great community program here.
The Farmers' Market is looking for experienced bicyclists interested in promoting bicycling in the City, food justice, and reducing food waste in our landfills! Food rescue events are the last Saturday of the month from May through October. Sign up at Volunteer Alexandria (type in "Bike for Good" in the Keyword Search) or email BikeforGood@alexandriava.gov for more information.
Farmers' Market Blog Posts
Read our blogs about the unique vendors and their products at the Old Town Farmers Market:
Information from our 2016 Vendor Meeting: