Potomac Yard Metrorail Station Construction
PROJECT STATUS: Construction
SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION: 2022 (Projected)
APPROVED BUDGET: $370 million
LOCATION: The Potomac Yard Metrorail Station site is located approximately midway between the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and Braddock Road Stations along Metrorail's existing Blue and Yellow Lines. The area is bordered by the George Washington Memorial Parkway to the east and northeast, the Potomac Greens neighborhood to the south, and active CSX tracks, Potomac Avenue, and Potomac Yard Shopping Center to the west and northwest.
DESIGN: Virtual tours of the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station from Summer 2019 are available to view online:
What's Happening On-site?
January 27, 2023
The following activities were performed during the past week for the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station:
- Activity: Mechanical Testing
- Activity: Electrical Work
- Activity: Tile Installation
- Activity: Forming sidewalk
- Activity: Installation of metal pan ceiling
- Activity: Installation of handrails
- Activity: Installation of overhead trapezoid
- Activity: Installation of curtain wall
- Activity: Electrical work
- Activity: Installation of ceiling panels
- Activity: Installation of seam metal roof
- Activity: Installation of stair stringer
- Activity: Pylons
- Activity: Wayfinding signage
- Activity: Finish tile work
- Activity: Trapezoids buildout
- Activity: Elevator and escalator build out
- Activity: Build out of control rooms
- Activity: Painting
- Activity: Finish tile work
- Activity: HVAC, electrical and mechanical work
- Activity: Stone veneer installation on egress ramps
- Activity: Installation of subgrade - access aisle
- Activity: Site lighting pole foundation installation
2601 Main Line Blvd.
- Activity: Sub-contractor work trailer
- Note: Generator in use to supply power to trailers
- Activity: Worker van service to/from construction site
Construction Photo Gallery
Plans and Permits
Location: 2601 Main Line Blvd.
PYC is required to provide off-street parking for their workers, trucks, and trailers as a condition of the Development Special Use Permit (DSUP) approved by City Council. This lot will be located at 2601 Main Line Blvd., which is on an undeveloped block bordered by Main Line Blvd. to the west, Potomac Ave. to the east, Maskell St. to the north, and Swann Ave. to the south. The only point of access will be off Potomac Ave.
Construction site workers will be transported to and from the construction site via private shuttles. They will not be allowed to park and access the site from the street. The shuttle, construction vehicles, and the transportation of other project resources must follow approved haul routes.
If you witness a violation of these rules, please contact Brian Whiteley at 703.746.4091.
Construction noise in the City of Alexandria is regulated through the Section 11-5 (Noise Control) of the City Code.
Use of construction devices and power equipment is allowed:
- Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday: Prohibited
Pile driving is allowed:
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All construction is prohibited on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Additional information about the City’s Noise Control code, including the hours permitted for special construction activities, after hours work, decibel level specifications, and how to lodge a complaint, can be found on the City’s Noise Control page.