Employment and Volunteering with Aging and Adult Services
Information about Employment and Volunteering for older adults.
Page updated on October 26, 2022 at 5:00 PM
WARNING: You have chosen to translate this page using an automated translation system. This translation has not been reviewed by the City of Alexandria and may contain errors.
Volunteer With Us!
- Medicare Counselors - The Division of Aging and Adult Services is seeking volunteers for its Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP). Medicare Counselors help people with Medicare Health Insurance and their caregivers understand Medicare and explore options that meet their needs. Volunteers receive extensive training on Medicare and related insurance topics. Download and print a volunteer application or email Pamela.email@example.com Questions contact Pamela Austin, Resource Coordinator at 703.746.5999
- Alexandria Adult Day Services Center - Provides volunteer opportunities designed for individuals who are interested in donating their time and talents to work with seniors with disabilities. Contact Pamela Austin, Resource Coordinator at 703.746.5999 for more information.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Friendly Visitor Program - Senior Services of Alexandria is actively recruiting volunteers to participate in the Friendly Visitor Program. Through planned weekly visits, volunteers bring friendship and community connections to seniors who are often restricted by their living facilities and/or may lack the local support of friends and family. For more information please call 703.836.4414 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Groceries to Go - Senior Services of Alexandria needs volunteers to deliver groceries to seniors who are no longer able to shop for themselves safely. Deliveries are made once a week, and pickup is at either Giant or Harris Teeter on Duke Street. For more information, call 703.836.4414 or email email@example.com.
- Meals on Wheels - Volunteers are needed to deliver meals to seniors who are home-bound. You can give as few as two hours a month. Call 703.836.4414.
- Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program - Volunteers are trained to serve as advocates for the needs and rights of residents of licensed nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Four hours spent visiting their assigned facility each week is required. Annual training is provided. Please call 703.324.5861.
- Volunteer Alexandria - The mission of Volunteer Alexandria is to build a better community by inspiring and mobilizing people to volunteer. Call 703.836.2176.
- Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) – Managed by the National Council on Aging, SCSEP is the nation's oldest program to provide training and employment opportunities to low-income Americans over age 55. For more information call 703.548.9663.
- Workforce Development Center - Provides services and resources for job seekers including access to a certified One Stop Career Center. For more information call 703.746.5990.