OUTDOOR POOL DAILY ADMISSION FEES
- Child (0-4)* $0
- Youth (5-17)* $3
- Adult (18-59) $4
- Senior (60+) $3
- Nonresident $6
OUTDOOR POOL SEASON PASSES
- Child (0-4)* $0
- Youth (5-17)* $53
- Adult (18-59) $105
- Senior (60+) $84
- Family (up to 4 residents) $288
- Nonresident $154
INDOOR POOL DAILY TICKET AND PASS FEES
Please visit the Chinquapin page for detailed fee information for Chinquapin's Rixse Memorial Pool .
FEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM FOR CITY RESIDENTS
The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities encourages participation in City services from all City residents. If you, a member of your family, or a friend would like to purchase a pool season pass and are in need of fee assistance in order to participate, please view the Financial Assistance Policy or contact the sponsoring program office for more detailed information. Financial Assistance Requests can be filled out at the pool or emailed to Aquatics@alexandriava.gov. For fee assistance information, call 703.746.5414 or (TTY) 703.838.4902.
*Please Note: All teenagers 13 through 17 years of age must be accompanied and supervised at all times by a paying adult (18+) unless their parent or guardian has completed a Teen Registration Form . All children 12 years of age and younger must be accompanied and supervised at all times by a paying adult (18+). This includes adults being in direct line of sight of children/youth while they swim, either viewed from the pool deck or from the water. Children 5 years of age and younger must be accompanied by a paying adult (18+) in the pool with them, and within arm's length at all times. All guests ages 13 and older are required to show a current photo ID card (school ID cards may be used). This policy is necessary to maintain safety and enjoyment at the City's swimming pools.
Swimming pool lanes and diving wells are available for rental. Due to limited capacity, organized groups planning to visit the pool are highly encouraged to make a rental reservation in advance, otherwise, they may not be accommodated at pool entry. Call 703.746.5553 or email Aquatics@alexandriava.gov for additional information.
Pool party rentals are available at the picnic area at Old Town Pool, and in the club rooms at Chinquapin Park Recreation Center and Aquatics Facility. Call 703.746.5553 or email Chinquapin@alexandriava.gov for additional information.
Pool Tips and Rules
Open swimming is first-come, first-served on a drop-in basis. Adult swimmers and youth swimmers** can use the diving well when available.
**Youth swimmers must pass the swim test before going to the diving well or using the diving board. Please see a staff member to take the swim test and get a wristband upon successful completion of the test.
Safety Swim Test
Enter the water and submerge head and continue
Swim the length of the pool (25 yards)without stopping and demonstrating freestyle or breaststroke with good breath control (no 'heads up' swimming),& remaining on their front.
Lap swimming is first-come, first-served on a drop-in basis. When swimming in a lane with other swimmers, please let others know you are entering the lane. For 2 swimmers, split the lane, with each swimmer staying on 1 side of the pool respectively; for 3+ swimmers, circle swim counter-clockwise (always stay to your right).
TIPS FOR ENJOYING THE POOL
Arrival and Capacity – Please check-in at the front desk and pay the daily admission fee or swipe your pass. **Please note that the pools are in high demand during peak times including, but not limited to: weekends; evenings; weekday camp swim 12 - 3 p.m.; June and July Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday swim team practice 5 - 6 p.m (Old Town Pool Only). Pools may reach max capacity during peak times. In the event that the pool is at maximum capacity when you arrive, a staff member will ask you to wait to enter until space becomes available.
Accompanied Youth – Youth ages 0 through 12 must be accompanied and supervised by an adult (18+) at all times. Youth ages 0 through 5 must have an adult in the water within arms reach. Youth ages 6 through 12 must have an adult in the water or on the pool deck within direct line of sight. **see above
Teenagers – Teenagers ages 13 through 17 may visit the pools without an adult once their parent or guardian has completed a Teen Registration Form . Parents or guardians may complete the form online or go to any pool to fill out and sign the form, which is valid from September through August each year. Registered teenagers must present a valid identification card, such as a school ID or RPCA teen key fob, for each pool entry. Teenagers ages 13 through 17 without a completed Teen Registration Form must be accompanied by an adult (18+) in the water or on the pool deck within direct line of sight. **see above
- Locker Rooms – Men's, women's, and universal locker rooms with showers are available at each pool. You may bring a lock for a day-use locker, or bring your personal items to the pool deck.
Pool Attire – Swimwear should be tight-fitting, clean, and water safe. Prohibited items include: denim, street shoes, excessively loose or bulky clothing, thong bottoms. Unsure? Ask a staff member.
Lane or Zone Assignment – Lanes and zones are designated for lap swim, open swim, programs, and rentals. A staff member can assist you with finding a lane or zone for your visit.
- Safety Breaks – When the weather is hot or the pool is crowded, lifeguards will blow their whistles to signal safety breaks from the :45 minute mark to the top of the hour, hourly. During safety breaks, only adults may remain in the water, and some zones may be closed (such as diving boards and the training pool). Safety breaks are a great time for lifeguards and swimmers to get some shade, re-hydrate, use the restroom, and reapply sunscreen to ensure that the fun can safely continue after the break.
- Equipment – You may bring your own swim equipment and pool toys, but please, no non-Coast Guard approved flotation devices, such as water wings, pool floats, inflatable rings, or noodles. Swimmers wearing a Coast Guard-approved flotation device must be within arms' length of an adult at all times. All pools have life jackets available for complimentary use. A selection of swim equipment will also be available on the pool deck. Equipment available for lap swim or adult water aerobic exercise only may include: kickboards, exercise noodles, ankle weights, aqua jogger belts, pull buoys, aqua barbells, and aqua dumbbells.
Inclement Weather – In the event of inclement weather or other unexpected interruption that closes the pool, you may receive a complimentary visit pass if your swim time was cut short. Participants in an aquatic class cancelled due to inclement weather will be contacted regarding a credit or make-up class.
- No lifeguard on duty. Adult supervision is required at all times for children age 12 and under.
- No pets or animals are allowed in the fountain area.
- No skateboards, roller blades, or bikes are allowed in the fountain.
- No beach furniture or water toys are allowed in the fountain area.
- No food, drink, or glass containers are allowed in the fountain area.
- Do not allow trash, human waste, or blood to enter the fountain.
- Do not drink the water.
- Appropriate swimwear must be worn at all times. Shoes/non-slip water shoes must be worn at all times.
- Children not toilet trained must wear swim diapers.
- Any person having an obvious skin disease, nasal or ear discharge, inflamed eye, or any communicable disease with symptoms of diarrhea or vomiting shall be excluded from the facility.
- Do not climb on the fountain equipment.
- For emergencies, call 911
Alexandria Swim Academy
The Alexandria Swim Academy is part of the Red Cross Learn to Swim program, offering swim lessons for ages 6 months through adult. Swim lessons are available for all skill levels and abilities. Lessons run all year and registration is available online. Register now.
Applications for Lifeguards, Pool Operators, Pool Managers, Swim Coaches, and Water Safety Swim Instructors are accepted on a seasonal and year-round basis. The City of Alexandria also offers Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor training. Please visit our Jobs page to apply; email Aquatics@alexandriava.gov or call 703.746.5436 for more information.
Opportunities are available to qualified instructors to instruct aquatic exercise and enrichment programs for all ages. Classes are offered seasonally and year-round. To submit a proposal, email Aquatics@alexandriava.gov or call 703.746.5434.
- Debbie Woodbury, Regional Program Director
- Lisa O'Neill, Aquatics Manager
- Trina Wood, Aquatics Coordinator
- Ann Redfearn, Recreation Coordinator
For inquiries, email Aquatics@alexandriava.gov or call 703.746.5553.