Capital Bikeshare Expansion
The Capital Bikeshare system has continued to grow since its inception in 2012, with the system expanding from eight stations in 2012 to 31 stations in 2016. In conjunction with the analysis in the Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan, the City is analyzing the most suitable locations for the next round of bikeshare expansion.
For the next round of
expansion, the City is planning to add 11 bikeshare stations in 2019. The Traffic & Parking Board approved eight of the 10 stations recommended by staff at their public hearing held on July 24, 2017. Staff conducted further outreach on the two
remaining sites and returned to the Traffic & Parking Board on November 27,
2017 where the Board approved the remaining two station sites. The eleventh
station will be located near Port City Brewery. The City is currently working to secure grant funding to purchase these stations.
Bike sharing is public transportation using bicycles, and cities around the world provide bike sharing systems as a transportation option for residents and visitors. The City of Alexandria's bike sharing program, in partnership with the District Department of Transportation, Arlington County, and Montgomery County, is called Capital Bikeshare. With Capital Bikeshare, you can choose from nearly 400 stations in the region, and return a bike to any station near your destination. Motivate operates the system for Alexandria, Montgomery County, Arlington, and Washington, D.C.
Alexandria joined the regional Capital Bikeshare network in September 2012 with eight stations, and added eight more stations in Del Ray and Carlyle in August 2014.
Want to save time, save money, have fun, get exercise, and go green? Joining Capital Bikeshare is easy. Follow the simple instructions here to learn how to become a member.
For more information about the bikeshare program, please email CapitalBikeshare@AlexandriaVA.gov
The Alexandria Capital Bikeshare Dashboard provides detailed information on station usage and ridership patterns throughout the City.
- 2017 Alexandria Dashboard
- 2016 Alexandria Dashboard
- 2015 Alexandria Dashboard
- Capital Bikeshare Trip Visualizer
Alexandria station locations are selected from locations suggested by the public, and preferences shown on the interactive crowdsourcing map. Locations are evaluated using criteria including connectivity to transit to expand between metrorail stations, mixed-use activity centers, potential bicycle activity, proximity to other Capital Bikeshare stations, as well technical considerations. Staff attended community meetings to gain input from residents on Capital Bikeshare expansion in Alexandria.
Location Selection for Bikeshare Stations
- Online Interactive Crowdsourcing Map
- Developer contributions
- Community requests and comments (CallClickConnect, Emails, Community meetings)
- Proximity to:
- Metrorail Stations
- Mix-use activity centers
- Existing and potential bicycle activity
- Proximity to other bikeshare stations
- Transportation Master Plan (next five years of stations)
- Direct sunlight
- At least 11'x 42' of clearance
- Sidewalk/pedestrian clearance
- Utility clearance
- VDOT approval
- City Right Of Way
Prior Public Engagement
- Board of Architectural Review – October 2011 and July 2013
- Capital Bikeshare Open House - January 28, 2015
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan – Online wikimap – August to October 2014
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan Public Meetings –
- Sept. 30, 2014 (Overview of existing stations and input on future stations)
- Sept 24, 2015 (Showed recommended bikeshare station locations)
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan Ad Hoc Advisory Committee Meetings –
- Oct 9, 2014 – presented existing conditions, including bikeshare stations
- Dec 3, 2014 – presented results of wikimap / survey for future bikeshare stations
- Planning Commission Public hearing – April 5, 2016
- City Council Public hearing – April 16, 2016
- Bikeshare Expansion Outreach - May-June, 2017
- Board of Architectural Review - Old & Historic District - June 21, 2017
- Traffic & Parking Board Public Hearing on Spring 2018 Expansion - July 24, 2017
Prior to installation, adjacent businesses and civic associations will be notified about the new bikeshare stations.
- GO Alex - Bikeways Network
- GO Alex- Bike and Walk
- Capital Bikeshare web site
- Capital Bikeshare Survey Finds Members Drive Less and Save Big
- Capital Bikeshare station map -- Check availability of bikes and docks, save the stations you use most often
- Spotcycle mobile app -- Find nearby stations and check bike and dock availability with iPhone, BlackBerry and Android devices
- Capital Bikeshare crowdsourcing map - Suggest a location for a future Capital Bikeshare station
- Follow Capital Bikeshare on Facebook and Twitter
- The Bike-sharing Blog