The City of Alexandria has long been committed to making cycling a safer and more convenient method for getting around. The City is committed to working with businesses, residents, and visitors alike to meet their infrastructure and non-infrastructure bicycle needs. The City’s expansion of the Bikeshare program, installation and designation of new bike lanes and routes, as well as the continual installation of bicycle parking throughout the City are just a few of the initiatives that make the City of Alexandria a nationally recognized Bike Friendly Community.
The City of Alexandria is a wonderful place to cycle. With more than 49 miles of on-street bike lanes, shared lanes, and trails, using a bike to quickly, safely, and enjoyably get around has never been easier.
Bike to Work Day
The City of Alexandria encourages the community to participate in National Bike to Work Day on Friday, May 21. The annual event invites the public to consider bicycle commuting as an affordable, efficient and environmentally friendly way of getting to work.
Alexandria residents will be among the thousands of area commuters who celebrate Bike to Work Day by cycling to pit stops (and back home to work if applicable) and participating in special events around the City and throughout the region.
Participants can register at biketoworkmetrodc.org for activities at three of eight Alexandria “pit stops:”
· Conte’s Bike Shop (1101 King St) from 6:30 to 9:00 a.m. (City-sponsored pit stop)
· Pedego Bikes (210 N. Lee St) from 6:30 to 9:00 a.m. (City-sponsored pit stop)
· Big Wheel Bikes (2 Prince St) from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. (City-sponsored pit stop)
· Carlyle (300 John Carlyle St.), from 6:00 to 9:00 a.m.
· Del Ray (2704 Mt. Vernon Ave.), from 6 to 9 a.m.
· Fairlington Centre (1711 Centre Plaza), from 6:30 to 9 a.m.
· Mark Center North Parking Garage (across from 4825 Mark Center Drive), from 7 to 9 a.m.
· National Landing (3030 Potomac Ave) from 3 to 6 p.m.
The City-sponsored pit stops, will have grab-and-go refreshments. We’ll be giving away swag and you’ll have an opportunity to practice putting your bike on a bus rack.
Bike to Work Day is free and open to all commuters, but registration is required. The first 15,000 cyclists who register will receive a free t-shirt.
Bike to Work Day is part of the City’s observance of National Bike Month. Other activities include a virtual Bike Month Celebration of activities you can do even if you aren’t biking into work. Follow us on Facebook to find out about all the virtual events and activities.
Join the Washington Area Bicyclist Association this summer for virtual lessons on how to ride your bike in traffic and take your riding to the next level! During each class, you will learn how to prepare for your ride, where to ride in the road, communicating with motorists and how to build confidence! All participants will receive a coupon for a FREE Confident City Cycle class. These classes are sponsored by the City of Alexandria's Dept. of Transportation & Environmental Services.
- Cameron and Prince Complete Streets
- Kenwood Avenue Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements
- Taney Avenue Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements
- King Street Complete Streets Project
- North Van Dorn Complete Streets
- Glebe Road Bicycle Lanes
- King Street - Janney's Lane to Cedar Street
- Janney's Lane Bicycle Facilities
- Monroe Avenue Complete Streets
- North Hampton Drive Complete Streets
- Stevenson Avenue Complete Streets
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Wayfinding
- Potomac Greens Drive Advisory Bicycle Lanes
- West Taylor Run Parkway Bicycle Facilities
- Wheeler Avenue Bicycle Lanes
- Wilkes Street Bicycle Facilities
- Trails (Shared Use Path Capital Improvement Program)
- Holmes Run Trail Chambliss Crossing
- Holmes Run Trail at Ripley Street Crossing
- Old Cameron Run Study
- Mount Vernon at East Abingdon Drive
- About Pedestrian & Traffic Signals
- Complete Streets
- Crosswalks 101
- Get Involved: Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- HAWK Pedestrian Signal
- Safe Routes to School & Walk to School Day
- Bicycle Friendly Businesses
- Bicycle Education & Safety with WABA
- Bicycle Safety
- Bicycle Trip Routing Tool - D.C. Region including Alexandria
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan Update
- Capital Bikeshare
- Bicycle Laws in Virginia
- GO Alex Rider Guide
- Bicycle Registration - Bike Index, The National Bike Registry
- Bike-n-Ride on Metro
- Mount Vernon Trail Bicycle Signal
- Maps & Bikeways Network
- Pedestrian Safety
- Street Smart Campaign