Opening a Business in the City?
Business Tax Portal
The City of Alexandria has created a new online business tax portal that allows businesses to securely access business tax accounts, view historical data, file tax returns and make payments online.
To access the portal, click the button below or visit businesstaxportal.alexandriava.gov.
To link accounts, use the one-time PIN mailed to your business in early April, 2019 (your PIN can be retrieved any time by contacting the Business Tax Division at 703.746.3903) and your Business Account Number along with either your business’ Federal Employer Identification number or your Social Security number. Once the accounts are linked, you will be able to file and pay for taxes such as Business Personal Property, Meals, Transient Lodging, and Admission taxes online.
Please note, the PIN must be a 10-digit number. If you received a PIN with fewer than 10 digits, add zeros at the beginning of the PIN to reach 10 digits.Business Tax Portal
Currently, the business tax portal also allows business owners to access Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) account historical information. The City is still developing the ability for owners to file and pay BPOL taxes online, and will add this feature soon.
Business License and Business Personal Property Taxes
- Business License Tax Information
- How the Business Tax is Calculated
- Additional Documentation for Business License Filing
- Business Personal Property Tax Information
- 2019 Business Personal Property Return and Instructions
- 2019 Business License Application (for new businesses)
- 2019 Delinquent Business License Application
- Cessation of Business Form
- Contractor's Certification of Insuring Liability for Worker's Compensation (for contractors only)
Business License Renewal Forms
- 2019 Business License Renewal Form (for businesses, excluding contractors, with a start date between 1/2/2017 - 12/31/2018)
- 2019 Business License Renewal Form (for businesses, excluding contractors, with a start date on or before 1/1/2017)
- 2019 Business License Renewal Form (for City and out-of-state contractors with a start date between 1/2/2017 - 12/31/2018)
- 2019 Business License Renewal Form (for City and out-of-state contractors with a start date on or before 1/1/2017)
- 2019 Business License Renewal Form (for businesses with regulatory licenses)
Prior year forms can be found here.
Other Business-Related Taxes and Fees
- Admission Tax
- Bank Franchise License Tax
- Cigarette Tax
- Communications Tax
- Consumer Utility Tax
- Gasoline Tax
- Meal Tax
- Public Rights-of-Way Use Fee
- Sales Tax
- Short-Term (Daily) Rental Tax
- Transient Lodging (Hotel) Tax
For questions about operating a business in the City and the City's business license and business personal property taxes, contact:
301 King St., Suite 1700
Alexandria, VA 22314
For questions about any other business-related tax, please see the page for that tax as listed above or in the Alexandria Tax Guide.