Voter Registration & Elections
June 21, 2022 Primary Election
In Alexandria, the next election will be a Democratic Party Primary Election on June 21, 2022 for U.S. House of Representatives. A Sample Ballot is available here .
On June 21, unofficial election results will be available on the Virginia Department of Elections' website after 7pm.
The Republican Party choose to nominate their candidate via a non-primary method of nomination.
The order for the primary is available here .
How Do I Register to Vote?
The voter registration deadline for general and primary elections are 22 days before the election. Registration applications received after this deadline will be processed after the election. You may submit or update your registration information online through the Virginia Department of Elections, vote.elections.virginia.gov. Any eligible U.S. citizen who will be 18 years old by the next general election are eligible to register.
To check your registration status and find your polling place, visit vote.elections.virginia.gov, or call the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703.746.4050.
For more information on voter registration (and conducting voter registration drives), or to submit a paper registration application, please see our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
In-Person Absentee. In-Person absentee voting begins 45 days prior to a primary or general election in the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 132 North Royal Street.
- The absentee voting page will include additional information on in-person absentee voting including satellite voting locations, weekend and evening hours.
- The deadline to vote in-person absentee is 5 p.m. on the Saturday before the election.
By-Mail. If you would like to receive an ballot by mail, you may apply online, vote.elections.virginia.gov or download a paper application from our absentee page (see below).
- The absentee voting page includes additional information, including details on the permanent absentee voting list, links to by-mail applications and information on returning by mail ballots.
- The deadline to apply for a by mail ballot is 5 p.m. on the 11th day before an election.
Military and Overseas Voters may learn more about their voter registration and absentee voting options at www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/military-overseas/index.html
How Does Voting Work in Alexandria?
Precinct Maps and Polling Place Addresses
- Precinct Map
- Precinct listing
- Due to COVID19, the voting location for the Ladrey Senior Building Precinct will be the Charles Houston Center (901 Wythe Street).
- Due to construction, the voting location for the Douglas MacArthur School Precinct will be the G.W Masonic Temple (101 Callahan Dr.).
- The Hermitage voting location has been relocated to F.T. Day School (1701 N. Beauregard St.).
Virginia voters will be asked to show identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Recent Election Results
November 2, 2021 General Election for Virginia Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, House of Delegates, Commonwealth's Attorney, Sheriff, Mayor, Members of City Council and School Board.
June 8, 2021 Democratic Party Primary Election for Virginia Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, House of Delegates (45th District), Mayor and City Council.
November 3, 2020 General Election for President and Vice President, United States Senate, Member House of Representatives (8th District) and two proposed Constitutional Amendments.
Information in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean
How Do I Run for Local Office?
Campaign Finance Reports & Statements of Economic Interest
Become an Alexandria Election Officer
Other Election Links
- Order Literature and Forms
- Virginia Department of Elections
- Virginia Public Access Project
- United States Election Assistance Commission
- Virginia Election Law (Title 24.2 of the Code of Virginia)
- Federal Voting Assistance Program
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican Committee
- A Look Back at Redistricting and the 2010 Census
Alexandria Electoral Board and Registrar of Voters
Alexandria has a three-person Electoral Board:
- Jack Powers, Secretary
- Bruce A. Brown, Chairman
- Mary Lyman, Vice Chair
Electoral Board Meetings are open to the public and are listed on the Election Calendar .
Minutes from the meetings are posted as soon as they are available.
The Electoral Board appoints the Registrar of Voters.
Please contact our office with any questions about voter registration, early voting, or Election Day:
Angie Maniglia Turner General Registrar and Director of Elections
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Office Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.