November 7, 2017 General Election
The November 7 ballot in Alexandria includes contests for Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, House of Delegates (45th and 46th Districts), Sheriff and Commonwealth's Attorney. All regular polling places will be open for voting from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day.
Where Can I Find A Sample Ballot?
- Sample Ballot for Alexandria's 45th House of Delegates District
- Sample Ballot for Alexandria's 46th House of Delegates District
- If you are not sure of your District, here is a list of Precincts and Voting Districts and a Precinct Map
- The Virginia Department of Elections has a ballot lookup tool http://www.elections.virginia.gov/voter-outreach/whats-ballot.html that includes contact information for the campaigns.
How Do I Register to Vote?
The Voter Registration Deadline for the November 7 General Election will be October 16. The easiest way to submit an application to register or update your address is online through the Virginia Department of Elections, https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/. For more information on voter registration (and conducting voter registration drives), or to submit a paper registration application, please see our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
To check your registration status and find your polling place go to https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/ or call the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 703-746-4050.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
Absentee voting in Virginia begins 45 days before every Primary and General Election. The deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail for the November 7 Election is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 31. The deadline to vote "in-person" absentee is 5 p.m. on Saturday, November 4.
- Absentee by mail: You may complete an application online through the Virginia Department of Elections website, or you may send in page three of the fillable absentee form. You may also call the Voter Registration Office to request a paper application, 703-746-4050. We will begin mailing out absentee ballots on September 22.
- Absentee in person: Beginning September 22, you may vote in-person at the Voter Registration Office, 132 N. Royal Street. Beginning October 28, you may also vote in-person at Beatley Library.
For more information about absentee voting (including in-person voting hours at both absentee locations and a list of possible reasons for voting absentee), please see our Absentee Voting page.
Military and Overseas Voters may learn more about their voter registration and absentee voting options at: http://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/military-overseas/index.html
Photo ID Requirements
Virginia voters must show photo identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Don't have photo ID? You may apply for a FREE photo ID at our office any time we are open, including Election Day. We are located at 132 North Royal Street, Suite 100. Our hours are Monday - Friday from 8am to 5pm. This ID is valid for voting purposes only. On Election Day we are open from 6am to 7pm.
When you get to our office (1) you will fill out a short application, (2) we will take your picture and get your signature, and (3) you will receive your permanent voter photo identification card in the mail within two weeks. If you need to update your name or address, you may do that at the same time you come in for your ID. If you come to our office within 30 days of an election, we will give you a temporary photo ID which you may use for the current election.
Election Results for the June 13 Primary Elections
Each page includes state and local results:
How Does Voting Work in Alexandria?
Alexandria's Verity Voting Equipment (to be posted soon)
Precinct Maps and Polling Place Addresses
- Precinct Map
- Polling Place Addresses and Election Districts
- Boundaries for New Precinct at Potomac Yard (to take effect for the November 7, 2017 Election). The Alexandria Electoral Board held a public meeting on May 18, from 7 to 8 p.m, to receive comments on a proposal to add a new voting precinct at Potomac Yard. The proposed ordinance creating the Potomac Yard precinct was then introduced during the June 13 City Council meeting and approved by City Council following public hearing at the June 24 City Council meeting.
Recent Election Results
Campaign Finance Reports & Statements of Economic Interest
Information for Candidates
Become an Alexandria Election Officer
Other Election Links
- Order Literature and Forms
- Virginia's Department of Elections
- United States Election Assistance Commission
- Virginia Election Law (Title 24.2 of the Code of Virginia)
- Overseas Vote Foundation
- League of Women Voters, U.S.
- Federal Voting Assistance Program
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican Committee
- A Look Back at Redistricting and the 2010 Census
Alexandria Electoral Board and Registrar of Voters
Alexandria has a three-person Electoral Board:
Susan B. Kellom, Secretary
Bruce A. Brown, Chairman
Jack Powers, Vice Chair
Electoral Board Meetings are open to the public and are listed on the Election Calendar.
Minutes from the meetings are posted as soon as they are available.
The Electoral Board appoints the Registrar of Voters.
Please contact our office with any questions about voter registration, absentee voting, or Election Day:
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314