Statewide Risk Limiting Audit
The Virginia Department of Elections is coordinating a statewide Risk Limiting Audit (RLA) of the November 3, 2020 General Election. The City of Alexandria Ballot Retrieval meeting was Thursday, February 25, at 10am in City Hall.
For more information regarding risk limiting audits, review the Virginia Department of Election's Fact Sheet.
June 8, 2021 Primary Election
- Sample ballots will be posted here when they become available.
- Ballots will be mailed starting April 23, 2021 and voters can request a mail ballot until May 28, 2021.
- In-Person absentee begins April 23, 2021.
- The official order calling the primary election is available here.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
- By-Mail. If you would like to receive an ballot by mail, you may apply online,
vote.elections.virginia.gov or download a paper application from our absentee page (see below).
- The absentee voting page includes additional information, including links to absentee-by-mail applications and information on returning by mail ballots.
- The deadline to apply for a by mail ballot is 5 p.m. on the 11th day before an election.
- In-Person Absentee. In-Person absentee voting begins 45 days prior to a primary or general election in the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 132 North Royal Street. Office Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The absentee voting page will include additional information on in-person absentee voting including satellite voting locations, weekend and evening hours.
- The deadline to vote in-person absentee is 5 p.m. on the Saturday before an election.
Military and Overseas Voters may learn more about their voter registration and absentee voting options at www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/military-overseas/index.html
How Do I Register to Vote?
The voter registration deadline for the November 3, 2020 General Election, for those not already registered to vote at their current address, is October 13. Registration applications received after this deadline will be processed after the election. You may submit or update your registration information online through the Virginia Department of Elections, vote.elections.virginia.gov. Any eligible U.S. citizen who will be 18 years old by the next general election are eligible to register.
To check your registration status and find your polling place, visit vote.elections.virginia.gov, or call the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703.746.4050.
For more information on voter registration (and conducting voter registration drives), or to submit a paper registration application, please see our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
How Does Voting Work in Alexandria?
- What to Expect at the Polling Place
- Voter Services for Persons with Disabilities
- Alexandria's Verity Voting Equipment
- Guidelines for News Media During Elections
Precinct Maps and Polling Place Addresses
- Precinct Map (as of September 2020)
- Precinct listing (as of September 2020)
- For November 3, 2020, the voting location for the Ladrey Senior Building Precinct will be the Charles Houston Center (901 Wythe Street).
- For November 3, 2020, the voting location for the Hermitage Precinct will be the John Adams School (5651 Rayburn Ave).
- Due to construction, the voting location for the Douglas MacArthur School Precinct will be the G.W Masonic Temple (101 Callahan Dr.).
- GIS polling place viewer
Virginia voters must show identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Recent Election Results
November 3, 2020 General Election for President and Vice President, United States Senate, Member House of Representatives (8th District) and two proposed Constitutional Amendments.
June 23, 2020 Republican Primary for U.S. Senate.
March 3 2020 Democratic Party Presidential Primary Election
Information in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean
The Virginia Department of Elections has translated many of its web pages into Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean.
- Spanish - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/es
- Vietnamese - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/vi
- Korean - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/ko
How Do I Run for Local Office?
The next election for Mayor, City Council and School Board will be on November 2, 2021. The filing deadline to run for these offices will be June 8, 2021 at 7 p.m.
Campaign Finance Reports & Statements of Economic Interest
Become an Alexandria Election Officer
Other Election Links
- Order Literature and Forms
- Virginia Department of Elections
- Virginia Public Access Project
- United States Election Assistance Commission
- Virginia Election Law (Title 24.2 of the Code of Virginia)
- Federal Voting Assistance Program
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican Committee
- A Look Back at Redistricting and the 2010 Census
Connect on Social Media
For election reminders and additional information, follow our social media pages linked below:
Alexandria Electoral Board and Registrar of Voters
Alexandria has a three-person Electoral Board:
- Jack Powers, Secretary
- Bruce A. Brown, Chairman
- Mary Lyman, Vice Chair
Electoral Board Meetings are open to the public and are listed on the Election Calendar .
Minutes from the meetings are posted as soon as they are available.
The Electoral Board appoints the Registrar of Voters.
Please contact our office with any questions about voter registration, absentee voting, or Election Day:
Angie Maniglia Turner General Registrar and Director of Elections
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314