June 13, 2017 Primary Elections
On June 13, 2017 Alexandria will hold Democratic and Republican Primary Elections. In Virginia, voters do not register by political party; they may vote in either Primary, but not both.
- The Democratic Party Primary is to nominate candidates for Governor and Lt. Governor. Only one Democratic candidate filed for each of the other offices that will be on the November ballot so no Primary is needed for those offices.
- The Republican Party Primary is to nominate candidates for Governor and Lt. Governor. Only one Republican filed for Attorney General so no Primary is needed for that office. The Party will nominate its other candidates for the November ballot via a caucus.
- The November 7 ballot in Alexandria will include contests for Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, House of Delegates (45th and 46th Districts), Sheriff and Commonwealth's Attorney.
Where Can I Find A Sample Ballot?
The Virginia Department of Elections will also have a lookup up tool that voters can use to find out what's on their ballot http://www.elections.virginia.gov/voter-outreach/whats-ballot.html.
How Do I Register to Vote?
The Voter Registration Deadline for the June 13 Primary Election will be May 22. The fastest way to register is to apply online through the Virginia Department of Elections, https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/. For more information on voter registration (and conducting voter registration drives), or to submit a paper registration application, please see our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
To check your registration status and find your polling place go to https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/ or call the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 703-746-4050.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
Many voters are eligible to vote "absentee" in Virginia beginning 45 days before every Primary and General Election. The first day of absentee voting for the June 13 Primary will be April 28. The deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail will be June 6. The deadline to vote "in-person" absentee will be 5pm on Saturday, June 10.
For more information about absentee voting (including a list of possible reasons for voting absentee), please see our Absentee Voting page.
Military and Overseas Voters may learn more about their voter registration and absentee voting options at http://elections.virginia.gov/registration/military-overseas/index.html
Photo ID Requirements
Virginia voters must show photo identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Don't have photo ID? You may apply for a FREE photo ID at our office any time we are open, including Election Day. We are located at 132 North Royal Street, Suite 100. Our hours are Monday - Friday from 8am to 5pm. This ID is valid for voting purposes only. On Election Day we are open from 6am to 7pm.
When you get to our office (1) you will fill out a short application, (2) we will take your picture and get your signature, and (3) you will receive your permanent voter photo identification card in the mail within two weeks. If you need to update your name or address, you may do that at the same time you come in for your ID. If you come to our office within 30 days of an election, we will give you a temporary photo ID which you may use for the current election.
How Does Voting Work in Alexandria?
Alexandria's eScan and eSlate Voting Equipment
Precinct Maps and Polling Place Addresses
Recent Election Results
Campaign Finance Reports & Statements of Economic Interest
Information for Candidates
Become an Alexandria Election Officer
Other Election Links
- Order Literature and Forms
- Virginia's Department of Elections
- United States Election Assistance Commission
- Virginia Election Law (Title 24.2 of the Code of Virginia)
- Overseas Vote Foundation
- League of Women Voters, U.S.
- Federal Voting Assistance Program
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican Committee
- A Look Back at Redistricting and the 2010 Census
Alexandria Electoral Board and Registrar of Voters
Alexandria has a three-person Electoral Board:
Susan B. Kellom, Secretary
Bruce A. Brown, Chairman
Jack Powers, Vice Chair
Electoral Board Meetings are open to the public and are listed on the Election Calendar.
Minutes from the meetings are posted as soon as they are available.
The Electoral Board appoints the Registrar of Voters.
Please contact our office with any questions about voter registration, absentee voting, or Election Day:
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314