November 6, 2018 General Election
The November 6 General Election will include contests for U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives, Alexandria Mayor, Alexandria City Council and Alexandria School Board.
Here is a complete list of qualified candidates for Mayor, City Council and School Board, including campaign contact information. Sample ballots will be posted in August.
All regular polling places will be open for voting from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day.
How Do I Register to Vote?
The Voter Registration deadline to participate in the November 6 General Election is on October 15. Virginia residents who are U.S. citizens and will be 18 years old by November 6, 2018 may submit a registration application.
The fastest way to register to vote is to apply online through the Virginia Department of Elections. For more information on voter registration (and conducting voter registration drives), or to submit a paper registration application, please see our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
To check your registration status and find your polling place, visit vote.elections.virginia.gov, or call the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703.746.4050.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
Absentee voting for the November 6 Election begins on Friday, September 21.
- You may vote in-person absentee at the Voter Registration Office (132 North Royal Street) during regular office hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The deadline for in-person absentee voting is 5 p.m. on Saturday, November 3. Extended weekend and evening hours will be posted this fall. For more information, please see our Absentee Voting page.
- The deadline for applying for an absentee ballot by mail is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 30. You may, however, already submit an application requesting a ballot by mail for the November election. The fastest way to apply is online through the Virginia Department of Elections, vote.elections.virginia.gov.
To submit a paper application for an absentee ballot, and get more information about absentee voting including a list of possible reasons for voting absentee, please see our Absentee Voting page. You may submit a paper absentee application beginning one year before the date of an election.
Military and Overseas Voters may learn more about their voter registration and absentee voting options at http://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/military-overseas/index.html
Photo ID Requirements
Virginia voters must show photo identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Don't have photo ID? You may apply for a FREE photo ID at our office any time we are open, including Election Day. We are located at 132 North Royal Street, Suite 100. Our hours are Monday - Friday from 8am to 5pm. This ID is valid for voting purposes only. On Election Day we are open from 6am to 7pm.
When you get to our office (1) you will fill out a short application, (2) we will take your picture and get your signature, and (3) you will receive your permanent voter photo identification card in the mail within two weeks. If you need to update your name or address, you may do that at the same time you come in for your ID. If you come to our office within 30 days of an election, we will give you a temporary photo ID which you may use for the current election.
Where Can I Find A Sample Ballot?
- Sample Ballots for the November General Election will be available in August.
- Here is a list of Precincts and Voting Districts and a Precinct Map
- The Virginia Department of Elections has a ballot lookup tool that will include contact information for the campaigns.
How Do I Run for Local Office?
The filing deadline to run for local office was June 12, 2018 at 7 p.m.
How Does Voting Work in Alexandria?
- What to Expect at the Polling Place
- Voter Services for Persons with Disabilities
- Alexandria's Verity Voting Equipment
- Guidelines for News Media During Elections
Precinct Maps and Polling Place Addresses
- Precinct Map
- Polling Place Addresses and Election Districts
- Precinct Shapefiles from Alexandria's GIS Division
Recent Election Results
- June 12, 2018 Election Results
- Election Results History and Statistics
Campaign Finance Reports & Statements of Economic Interest
Become an Alexandria Election Officer
Other Election Links
- Order Literature and Forms
- Virginia Department of Elections
- Virginia Public Access Project
- United States Election Assistance Commission
- Virginia Election Law (Title 24.2 of the Code of Virginia)
- Federal Voting Assistance Program
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican Committee
- A Look Back at Redistricting and the 2010 Census
Alexandria Electoral Board and Registrar of Voters
Alexandria has a three-person Electoral Board:
- Susan B. Kellom, Secretary
- Bruce A. Brown, Chairman
- Jack Powers, Vice Chair
Electoral Board Meetings are open to the public and are listed on the Election Calendar .
Minutes from the meetings are posted as soon as they are available.
The Electoral Board appoints the Registrar of Voters.
Please contact our office with any questions about voter registration, absentee voting, or Election Day:
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314