November 7, 2017 General Election
The November 7 ballot in Alexandria includes contests for Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, House of Delegates (45th and 46th Districts), Sheriff and Commonwealth's Attorney. All regular polling places will be open for voting from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day.
Elections Results will be posted after polls close at 7pm.
Where Can I Find A Sample Ballot?
- Sample Ballot for Alexandria's 45th House of Delegates District
- Sample Ballot for Alexandria's 46th House of Delegates District
- If you are not sure of your District, here is a list of Precincts and Voting Districts and a Precinct Map
- The Virginia Department of Elections has a ballot lookup tool http://www.elections.virginia.gov/voter-outreach/whats-ballot.html that includes contact information for the campaigns.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
Absentee Voting ended at 5 p.m. on Saturday, November 4.
For more information about absentee voting including a list of possible reasons for voting absentee, please see our Absentee Voting page.
Military and Overseas Voters may learn more about their voter registration and absentee voting options at: http://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/military-overseas/index.html
How Do I Register to Vote?
The Voter Registration Deadline for the November 7 General Election was October 16. Applications received after the deadline will be processed after the election.
To check your registration status and find your polling place go to https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/ or call the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 703-746-4050.
You may submit a new registration application for future elections online through the Virginia Department of Elections, https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/. For more information on voter registration (and conducting voter registration drives), or to submit a paper registration application, please see our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
Photo ID Requirements
Virginia voters must show photo identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Don't have photo ID? You may apply for a FREE photo ID at our office any time we are open, including Election Day. We are located at 132 North Royal Street, Suite 100. Our hours are Monday - Friday from 8am to 5pm. This ID is valid for voting purposes only. On Election Day we are open from 6am to 7pm.
When you get to our office (1) you will fill out a short application, (2) we will take your picture and get your signature, and (3) you will receive your permanent voter photo identification card in the mail within two weeks. If you need to update your name or address, you may do that at the same time you come in for your ID. If you come to our office within 30 days of an election, we will give you a temporary photo ID which you may use for the current election.
How Does Voting Work in Alexandria?
Precinct Maps and Polling Place Addresses
- Precinct Map
- Polling Place Addresses and Election Districts
- Precinct Shapefiles from Alexandria's GIS Division
- Boundaries for New Precinct at Potomac Yard (to take effect for the November 7, 2017 Election). The Alexandria Electoral Board held a public meeting on May 18, from 7 to 8 p.m, to receive comments on a proposal to add a new voting precinct at Potomac Yard. The proposed ordinance creating the Potomac Yard precinct was then introduced during the June 13 City Council meeting and approved by City Council following public hearing at the June 24 City Council meeting.
Recent Election Results
Campaign Finance Reports & Statements of Economic Interest
Information for Candidates
Become an Alexandria Election Officer
Other Election Links
- Order Literature and Forms
- Virginia's Department of Elections
- United States Election Assistance Commission
- Virginia Election Law (Title 24.2 of the Code of Virginia)
- Overseas Vote Foundation
- League of Women Voters, U.S.
- Federal Voting Assistance Program
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican Committee
- A Look Back at Redistricting and the 2010 Census
Alexandria Electoral Board and Registrar of Voters
Alexandria has a three-person Electoral Board:
Susan B. Kellom, Secretary
Bruce A. Brown, Chairman
Jack Powers, Vice Chair
Electoral Board Meetings are open to the public and are listed on the Election Calendar.
Minutes from the meetings are posted as soon as they are available.
The Electoral Board appoints the Registrar of Voters.
Please contact our office with any questions about voter registration, absentee voting, or Election Day:
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314