Voter Registration & Elections
March 5, 2024 Presidential Primary Election
There will be a March 5, 2024 Presidential Primary in Alexandria.
Early voting begins on January 19, 2024. Additional details are available here .
In Dual Primary Elections, qualified voters may vote in either Primary, but not both. They must indicate their choice to the Pollbook officer and may not be challenged on their choice.
§ 24.2-530. Who may vote in primary? All persons qualified to vote…may vote at the primary. No person shall vote for the candidates of more than one party.
The order for the primary is available here.
How Do I Register to Vote?
The voter registration deadline for general and primary elections are 22 days before the election. Registration applications received after this deadline will be processed after the election. You may submit or update your registration information online through the Virginia Department of Elections, vote.elections.virginia.gov. Any eligible U.S. citizen who will be 18 years old by the next general election are eligible to register.
To check your registration status and find your polling place, visit vote.elections.virginia.gov, or call the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703.746.4050.
For more information on voter registration (and conducting voter registration drives), or to submit a paper registration application, please see our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
In-Person Absentee. In-Person absentee voting begins 45 days prior to a primary or general election in the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 132 North Royal Street.
- The absentee voting page will include additional information on in-person absentee voting including satellite voting locations, weekend and evening hours.
- The deadline to vote in-person absentee is 5 p.m. on the Saturday before the election.
By-Mail. If you would like to receive an ballot by mail, you may apply online, vote.elections.virginia.gov or download a paper application from our absentee page (see below).
- The absentee voting page includes additional information, including details on the permanent absentee voting list, links to by-mail applications and information on returning by mail ballots.
- The deadline to apply for a by mail ballot is 5 p.m. on the 11th day before an election.
Military and Overseas Voters may learn more about their voter registration and absentee voting options at www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/military-overseas/index.html
How Does Voting Work in Alexandria?
Precinct Maps and Polling Place Addresses
- Precinct Map
- Precinct Listing
- The Del Pepper Center (4850 Mark Center Drive) has been added as new voting location. Affected voters have been sent new voter information notices.
- The View Alexandria (5000 Fairbanks Ave) has been added as a new voting location. Affected voters have been sent new voter information notices.
- The G.W. Masonic Temple voting location has been relocated to Douglas MacArthur School (1101 Janneys Lane)
- The South Port Apartments voting location has been relocated to Tucker School (435 Ferdinand Day Drive).
- GIS polling place viewer
Virginia voters will be asked to show identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Recent Election Results
Information in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean
The Virginia Department of Elections web pages have a Google powered, embedded, page language translator for Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean. This translator can be found in the top right of each page. To utilize the translator, click on the “Select Language” drop down and choose the translation language. You can reach the Virginia Department of Elections website at: elections.virginia.gov
How Do I Run for Local Office?
Campaign Finance Reports & Statements of Economic Interest
Other Election Links
- Order Literature and Forms
- Virginia Department of Elections
- Virginia Public Access Project
- United States Election Assistance Commission
- Virginia Election Law (Title 24.2 of the Code of Virginia)
- Federal Voting Assistance Program
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican Committee
- A Look Back at Redistricting
Alexandria Electoral Board and Registrar of Voters
Alexandria has a three-person Electoral Board:
- Bruce A. Brown, Secretary
- Jack Powers, Chairman
- Tom Fulton, Vice Chair
Electoral Board Meetings are open to the public and are listed on the Election Calendar.
The six year election calendar is available here.
Minutes from the meetings are posted as soon as they are available.
The Electoral Board appoints the Registrar of Voters.
Please contact our office with any questions about voter registration, early voting, or Election Day:
Angie Maniglia Turner General Registrar and Director of Elections
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Office Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.