Sample Ballots for the November 3, 2020 General Election are available here.
The ballot in Alexandria contains contests for: President and Vice President, United States Senate, Member House of Representatives (8th District) and two proposed Constitutional Amendments.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
- By-Mail Absentee. If you would like to receive an absentee ballot by mail, you may apply online, vote.elections.virginia.gov or download a paper application from our absentee page (see below).
- The absentee voting page includes additional information, including links to absentee-by-mail applications and information on drop boxes.
- The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot by mail is 5 p.m. on Friday, October 23.
- For November 3, 2020, If you believe you may not safely have a witness present while completing the by mail ballot, you are not required to have a witness present or have a witness sign your ballot envelope. For November 3, 2020, Absentee ballots will not be rejected for the lack of a witness signature. These instructions override any instructions on your ballot envelopes regarding witness signatures.
- In-Person Absentee. In-Person absentee voting for the November 3 General Election begins on Friday, September 18 in the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 132 North Royal Street. Office Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The absentee voting page will include additional information on in-person absentee voting including satellite voting locations, weekend and evening hours.
- The deadline to vote in-person absentee is 5 p.m. on Saturday, October 31.
Military and Overseas Voters may learn more about their voter registration and absentee voting options at www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/military-overseas/index.html
How Do I Register to Vote?
The voter registration deadline for the November 3, 2020 General Election, for those not already registered to vote at their current address, is October 13. Registration applications received after this deadline will be processed after the election. You may submit or update your registration information online through the Virginia Department of Elections, vote.elections.virginia.gov. Any eligible U.S. citizen who will be 18 years old by November 3, 2020, is eligible to register.
To check your registration status and find your polling place, visit vote.elections.virginia.gov, or call the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703.746.4050.
For more information on voter registration (and conducting voter registration drives), or to submit a paper registration application, please see our Voter Registration Information and Application page.
How Does Voting Work in Alexandria?
- What to Expect at the Polling Place
- Voter Services for Persons with Disabilities
- Alexandria's Verity Voting Equipment
- Guidelines for News Media During Elections
Precinct Maps and Polling Place Addresses
- Precinct Map (as of September 2020)
- Precinct listing (as of September 2020)
- For November 3, 2020, the voting location for the Ladrey Senior Building Precinct will be the Charles Houston Center (901 Wythe Street).
- For November 3, 2020, the voting location for the Hermitage Precinct will be the John Adams School (5651 Rayburn Ave).
- Due to construction, the voting location for the Douglas MacArthur School Precinct will be the G.W Masonic Temple (101 Callahan Dr.).
Virginia voters must show identification prior to voting. For more information, including a list of acceptable IDs, please see Virginia's Department of Elections website.
Recent Election Results
The June 23, 2020 Republican Primary for U.S. Senate.
March 3 2020 Democratic Party Presidential Primary Election
The November 5, 2019 General Election included contests for Virginia State Senate and House of Delegates and Alexandria Clerk of Court.
The June 11, 2019 Democratic Primary included contests for Clerk of Court and Virginia State Senate (35th District).
The November 6, 2018 General Election included contests for U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives, Alexandria Mayor, Alexandria City Council and Alexandria School Board, as well as two proposed amendments to the Virginia Constitution. .
Information in Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean
The Virginia Department of Elections has translated many of its web pages into Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean.
- Spanish - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/es
- Vietnamese - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/vi
- Korean - https://www.elections.virginia.gov/ko
How Do I Run for Local Office?
The next election for Mayor, City Council and School Board will be on November 2, 2021. The filing deadline to run for these offices will be June 8, 2021 at 7 p.m.
2018 "I Voted" Sticker
Alexandria's "I Voted" and "Future Voter" stickers came from a project initiated by the Alexandria Commission for the Arts in conjunction with the Alexandria Electoral Board and Office of Voter Registration and Elections. Local artist Christina Mazurkevich created the winning designs.
Campaign Finance Reports & Statements of Economic Interest
Become an Alexandria Election Officer
Other Election Links
- Order Literature and Forms
- Virginia Department of Elections
- Virginia Public Access Project
- United States Election Assistance Commission
- Virginia Election Law (Title 24.2 of the Code of Virginia)
- Federal Voting Assistance Program
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican Committee
- A Look Back at Redistricting and the 2010 Census
Connect on Social Media
Alexandria Electoral Board and Registrar of Voters
Alexandria has a three-person Electoral Board:
- Jack Powers, Secretary
- Bruce A. Brown, Chairman
- Mary Lyman, Vice Chair
Electoral Board Meetings are open to the public and are listed on the Election Calendar .
Minutes from the meetings are posted as soon as they are available.
The Electoral Board appoints the Registrar of Voters.
Please contact our office with any questions about voter registration, absentee voting, or Election Day:
Angie Maniglia Turner
General Registrar and Director of Elections
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314