OEQ performs the following tasks in an effort to achieve the environmental goals established in the City Council's Strategic Plan (Adopted 2004, Revised 2006 & 2010) which states that "Alexandria respects, protects and enhances the health of its citizens and the quality of its natural environment."
- Monitors air and water quality.
- Investigates pollution complaints.
- Reviews development plans with regard to water quality impacts.
- Ensures compliance with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act.
- Issues noise variance permits.
- Inspects stormwater management facilities.
- Supports open space preservation.
- Participates in stormwater management and watershed planning and restoration initiatives.
- Responds to citizen questions and concerns and provides information to the public on how to protect and improve the environment.
Additionally, OEQ advises and works with other City agencies and divisions on matters that impact the environment, and provides staff support to the City’s Environmental Policy Commission, which studies and makes recommendations on various projects and program initiatives that may have environmental impacts. The Commission meets on a monthly basis.
- Visit the City's Stormwater Management page to learn more about protecting water quality in Alexandria.
- What you can do to protect water quality
- Stream Restoration
- Urban Streams: Enjoying Our Streams Safely
- Controlling Stormwater Pollution
- Rain Barrels
- Protecting the Chesapeake Bay
- Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP)
Eco-City Alexandria is the City's strategic effort to achieve sustainability. We seek to create an environmentally, economically and socially healthy city where people can live, work and play for decades to come. Visit the Eco-City Alexandria page to:
- Read the Environmental Action Plan 2040
- Learn more about the Eco-City Academy for residents
- Find out more about the City's sustainability progress and achievements
Visit the City's Noise Control page to learn more about noise in Alexandria, including:
- Details about the City's revised Noise Ordinance
- Construction Hours
- Lawn and Garden Noise
- Permit and Variances
- Air Quality in Alexandria
- Regional Air Quality Forecast
- Visit the City's air quality page to learn more about ambient and indoor air quality, air quality action days, and more.
- Read the 2040 Environmental Action Plan to learn more about the City's air quality efforts
Other Projects and Programs
Stay informed with eNews! - Receive information about programs, special events, community meetings, current Eco-City Alexandria events, and more. Subscribe to eNews category T&ES Environmental News.