DOT Paratransit Program
Beginning January 1, 2022, all DOT trips within the City of Alexandria and to/from the Pentagon will be free. Fares will still be collected for trips starting or ending outside of Alexandria. Trips less than 5 miles outside of City limits will be $4 each way and trips more than 5 miles outside of City limits will be $6 each way.
The City recently partnered with The National League of Cities and CivStart to conduct a case study on the DOT Paratransit Program. The study helped staff better understand how they could help make the paratransit program work better and more efficiently for some of the city’s most vulnerable residents. View the CASE STUDY HERE.
- DASH is now free to all users. For more information about routes and schedules, please visit: dashbus.com.
DOT is the City of Alexandria's specialized transportation service for residents of the City of Alexandria and visitors who cannot use regular transit buses or rail due to their disability. Accommodations are made for visitors with disabilities for a cumulative 21 day period, during a 365 day period beginning with the visitor's first use of service during the 365 day period. Visitors must present documentation that they are eligible to receive ADA paratransit services in the jurisdiction in which they reside. You may contact the Paratransit Coordinator at 703-746-4084 to arrange complementary paratransit service. Trips are provided by taxicabs and wheelchair accessible vans. DOT provides service throughout the City of Alexandria, City of Falls Church, Arlington County, Fairfax County and Fairfax City.
DOT trips are scheduled on an advance reservation basis. Trips should be scheduled no later than one day in advance and can be scheduled up to 14 days prior to the day of the trip. The fare must be paid at the time the trip is taken. If you are certified to have a Personal Care Attendant (someone to assist you while traveling), the Personal Care Attendant rides with you at no charge.
In the event that conditions change due to COVID 19 in such a way that could impact the City’s ability to provide paratransit services due to staffing limitations, paratransit trips may be limited to high priority trips.
- Monday -Thursday: 5 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Friday: 5 a.m. to 1 a.m
- Saturday: 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.
- Sunday: 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Within the City of Alexandria - Free
- Up to 5 miles outside of the City - $4 each way
- More than 5 miles outside of the City - $6 each way
1. Fill out Part A of the application if you believe you qualify (see “Who Qualifies” on page 2).
2. Take or mail the application (Parts A and B) to your healthcare professional to have Part B completed. Both Part A and Part B MUST be completed before your application is considered.
3. Submit the completed application:
- Mail the completed application form (Parts A and B) to:
City of Alexandria
Office of Mobility Services
421 King Street, Suite 235
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Scan and email the completed application to Geralyn.Taylor@Alexandriava.gov
- Fax the completed application to 703-746-6433.
4. The Office of Mobility Services will notify you of your eligibility status. A certification will be mailed to applicants with instruction on how to reserve DOT service will be mailed to approved applicants.
5. If you have not been notified within 21 days of submitting your application, call (703) 746-4084 Voice, or Virginia Relay 711. If determination of your eligibility has not been made, you will be temporarily eligible for paratransit service.
6. If you are denied eligibility, you have a right to appeal. Information on the appeals process will be sent to you. Call (703) 746-4084 Voice; or Virginia Relay 711 for more information.
For more information or to receive an application please contact the Paratransit Coordinator via email or call 703.746.4084 weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.