- Who We Are
- Resource Spotlight: Preventing Youth Substance Use and Abuse
- Supporting Positive Youth Development
- Announcements and Community Events
- Check out SAPCA's February newsletter for information about our work, community announcements and upcoming events, and COVID-19 resources.
Latinx focus groups/Grupos de enfoque Latinx
- Click here to register for the adult focus group on March 2. / Presione aquí para inscribirse en el grupo de enfoque para adultos en marzo 2.
- Click here to register for the adult focus group on March 8. / Presione aquí para inscribirse en el grupo de enfoque para adultos en marzo 8.
- Click here to register for the youth focus group on March 4. / Presione aquí para inscribirse en el grupo de enfoque para jóvenes en marzo 4.
- Click here to register for the youth focus group on March 9. / Presione aquí para inscribirse en el grupo de enfoque para jóvenes en marzo 9.
FDA warns about serious problems with high doses of the allergy medicine diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning that taking higher than recommended doses of the common over-the-counter (OTC) allergy medicine diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can lead to serious heart problems, seizures, coma, or even death. There are several reports of teenagers ending up in emergency rooms or dying after participating in the “Benadryl Challenge” encouraged in videos posted on the social media application TikTok.
- Prescriptions, including opioids and over-the-counter medication can be abused when a person takes a medication that was prescribed to someone else, takes their own prescription in a way not intended by a doctor, or takes a medication with the intention of getting high.
- Help keep our community safe by locking up prescription and over-the-counter medication and disposing of unused or expired medication at one of Alexandria's permanent medication drop boxes.
View a summary of the latest results from the Profile of Student Life Survey (Developmental Assets) conducted in 2019. The full report can be found here.
Check out this spotlight of our 2019 Project Sticker Shock!
During this annual event, teams of youth and adults place bright warning stickers on multi-packs of beer and other alcohol products in Alexandria stores
Learn more about Virginia's new Tobacco 21 legislation, effective July 1, 2019!
Nationwide, less than a quarter of high school seniors report drinking alcohol -- and in Alexandria, that number is lower. Learn more about this Trend To Get Behind:
Interested in learning more about opioids?
- Flyer in English
- Folleto en Español
- Visit KNOW the RxSK to learn more about safe opioid use, the risks of prescription drug misuse and the importance of proper disposal.
This website features information about opioids, what opioid addiction “looks like,” where to get help across the region, how to sign up for a REVIVE! class and locations to safely dispose of unused or expired opioid medications.