Eisenhower Avenue Bridge and Duke Street Bridge Repair Projects
The City of Alexandria is repairing two bridges: the Eisenhower Avenue Bridge over Cameron Run and Duke Street Bridge over CSX Railroad to extend the service life of both bridges and lift the current load restrictions placed on the Eisenhower Avenue bridge.
Materials used in the bridge repair process are weather-sensitive, so construction will take place in two phases:
PHASE I: EISENHOWER AVENUE BRIDGE OVER CAMERON RUN
Scope of Work: Structural steel repairs to the Eisenhower Avenue bridge over Cameron Run
Construction Dates: January – March 2021
PHASE II: DUKE STREET BRIDGE OVER CSX RAILROAD
Scope of Work: Concrete deck patching, expansion joint repairs, placement of joint sealers, concrete superstructure and substructure repairs, railing system repairs, and placement of an epoxy concrete deck overlay on the Duke Street bridge.
Start Date: August 30, 2021
Duration: Three weeks
- Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 3:30 PM
- Saturday: 9 AM - 6 PM
- Sunday: No activity permitted
- Labor Day (September 6, 2021): No construction activity permitted
The following letter was distributed to area residents, businesses, and civic associations:
- Traffic access will be maintained in both directions on Duke Street throughout construction, but travelers should anticipate delays due to temporary lane closures during construction hours.
- Vehicles traveling west on Duke Street will be unable to turn right from Duke Street onto Callahan Drive. The City encourages travelers to identify an alternative route prior to travel.
- Variable message boards will be used to visually broadcast construction work dates and times. Construction signage will be posted to direct traffic.