Historic Masonry - Preservation and Maintenance
Information on this page is intended to provide helpful advice that is generally consistent with the Board of Architectural Review's preservation practices. Please remember that a Certificate of Appropriateness is required for painting previously unpainted masonry and staff reviews all repointing or repair proposals through the administrative approval process.
Page updated on November 29, 2021 at 5:42 PM
WARNING: You have chosen to translate this page using an automated translation system. This translation has not been reviewed by the City of Alexandria and may contain errors.
- Historic Masonry Restoration: Butter Joint Repointing by US Heritage Group
- History Masonry Restoration: Repointing Guide by US Heritage Group
- Repointing and Paint Removal by Capitol Hill Restoration Society
- Assessing Cleaning and Water-Repellent Treatments for Historic Masonry Buildings by the National Park Service
- Removing Graffiti from Historic Masonry by the National Park Service
Contact Historic Preservation staff in the Department of Planning and Zoning at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3833.