Alexandria City Council Announces Schedule for Resident Engagement and Consideration of Zoning For Housing Reforms
Alexandria, Va.- Alexandria City Council has added more opportunities for community input on the comprehensive package of proposed reforms under the Zoning for Housing/Housing for All Initiative. These opportunities will continue public outreach efforts as the draft recommendations are released and considered by the Planning Commission and City Council.
Launched in 2019, the Zoning for Housing/Housing for All initiative has a joint goal of expanding housing accessibility, affordability and availability across the city while also addressing equity in housing for all groups in Alexandria. Prior to 2023, the City Council adopted three reforms under the initiative, including text amendments related to Accessory Dwelling Units, Co-Living and Auxiliary Dwellings Units.
Early this spring, the City accelerated a comprehensive package to pursue study and community engagement on the remaining nine proposed zoning reforms.
“This is one of the most significant initiatives of this Council term,” said Alexandria Mayor Justin Wilson. “As we consider meaningful reforms to improve housing affordability in our City, we want to ensure the voice of our residents is heard and incorporated in the package adopted by the City Council.”
- August 29: Zoning for Housing/Housing for All Panel Discussion
- September 5: Joint Planning Commission/ City Council Work Session, City Hall (draft recommendations released).
- September 14: Community meeting, Location coming soon.
- September 23: City Council Public Hearing, City Hall (opportunity to comment)
- September 24: City Council Town Hall (opportunity to comment) Location coming soon.
- October 5: Community meeting, Location coming soon.
- October 12: Community meeting, Location coming soon.
- October 14: City Council Public Hearing, City Hall (opportunity to comment)
- October 21: City Council Town Hall (opportunity to comment) Location coming soon.
- November 1: Planning Commission Public Hearing on Zoning for Housing, City Hall (opportunity to comment)
- November 14: City Council Public Hearing on Zoning for Housing, City Hall
- November 18: City Council Public Hearing on Zoning for Housing continued, City Hall
- November 28: City Council Meeting, City Hall (scheduled vote on Zoning for Housing reforms)
Notifications will be sent to Planning and Zoning subscribers through eNews and across the City’s social media platforms. Testimony at all public hearings will be welcomed both in-person and virtually. For those individuals who are unable to attend or wish to submit their feedback electronically, a community comment form is available here.
For more information on the initiative, please visit alexandriava.gov/Zoning.