AGENCY ON AGING CHARTER SERVICES
Special Transportation Unit (STU), Operates a small fleet of buses and vans. STU vehicles include: three wheelchair accessible buses for 28 passengers (24/2 with wheelchair occupants); one twelve passenger van; and one lift-equipped minivan that can one wheelchair and three passengers. STU vehicles are available for charter when they are not in normal use for Division of Aging and Adult Services programs. Priority in scheduling is given to senior citizen groups in the community. For special charter vehicle rates and to arrange a trip, contact Johnny Alexander, STU Supervisor, at 703.746.3275. Charters require a minimum one month advance notice.
DOT is the City of Alexandria's specialized transportation service for residents of Alexandria and visitors who cannot use regular transit buses or rail due to their disability. For more information, contact the Paratransit Coordinator at 703.746.4084 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., or visit the DOT Paratransit Program page.
Group Grocery Shopping Trips
Group Grocery Shopping Trips are offered through the Division of Aging and Adult Services on specially scheduled routes for individuals age 60 or over. Riders are limited to two grocery bags. See the shopping trip schedule. For questions, please contact Johnny Alexander at 703.746.3275 .
Senior Taxi Yellow Card Program
Senior Taxi Yellow Card Program is available to Alexandria residents age 60 and older who have a yearly household income of $48,508 or less. The Senior Taxi Yellow Card program allows eligible riders to schedule taxi rides directly with Yellow Cab 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with no restrictions as to destinations. Interested individuals must apply to the program to determine eligibility and then purchase fares in advance at a discounted cost. For more information, call the Division of Aging and Adult Services at 703.746.5999. Forms can be mailed to the Division of Aging and Adult Services at 4850 Mark Center Drive, 9th Floor, Alexandria, VA 22311
- Information regarding the Senior Taxi Yellow Card Program
- If you are not currently enrolled in the Senior Taxi program, please complete the enrollment application
- Alexandria residents currently enrolled in the program can add funds to their existing card by completing the fare application
Related Transportation Links
- American Cancer Society offers free transportation for patients receiving treatment. Call 1.888.227.6333
- DASH Bus Service
- Medicaid/FAMIS (Logisticare Transportation Service) - Free round-trip transportation for Medicaid and FAMIS clients. Call 1.866.386.8331 and choose option 7. For dialysis transportation services, call 1.866.836.1570.
- MetroAccess is a shared ride, door to door transportation service for persons with disabilities.