Athletic Field Lighting
The addition of athletic field lighting will provide additional capacity to accommodate current and increasing scholastic and community program needs within the City’s fixed field resources. The project will support the City Council 2022 Community Priority to Support Youth and Families by expanding for capacity for youth programs, and the City’s goal of providing equitable access to facilities and services.
City Council approved funding for the lighting of two athletic fields, pending Special Use Permit approval by the Planning Commission and City Council, in FY 2023 (July 1, 2022-June 30, 2023). The lighting of additional fields, pending permit approval and approved funding, would be implemented over a three-to-five-year period.
On September 8, 2022, the Alexandria City Public School Board adopted a Resolution in support of the City’s applications to install athletic field lighting at four school locations.
- Community Engagement
- Legislative Approvals
- Planning Commission: November 1, 2022
- City Council: November 12, 2022
- Board of Architectural Review (BAR): January 18, 2023
- Field Lighting Installation
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School: Summer/Fall 2023
- Jefferson Houston K-8 School: Summer/Fall 2023
- Patrick Henry K-8 School & Recreation Center: Summer 2024
- George Washington Middle School: TBD
- Eugene Simpson Park: TBD
- Francis C Hammond Middle School, 4646 Seminary Road
- Patrick Henry K-8 School & Recreation Center, 4643 & 4653 Taney Avenue
- Jefferson Houston K-8 School, 1501 Cameron Street
- George Washington Middle School, 1005 Mt. Vernon Avenue *
- Eugene Simpson Stadium Park, 426 East Monroe Avenue
* ACPS is planning to convert one of the two existing natural turf fields to synthetic turf. The City is proposing to add athletic sport lighting to the field planned to be synthetic turf. For Additional information on the synthetic turf renovation project, contact the ACPS Project Mangers: Norman Wiebusch (firstname.lastname@example.org) and John Finnigan (email@example.com).
Community engagement schedule is as follows:
- May 16-June 30: Individual Community Group Meetings by Request
- June 2: ACPS Schoolboard Meeting
- June 8: Community Meeting #1 at 7 p.m.
- June 9: Seminary Hill Civic Association
- June 13: Youth Sports Advisory Group at 7 p.m.
Mt. Vernon Recreation Center, 2701 Mt. Vernon Ave.
- Meeting Presentation
- June 16: Park and Recreation Commission at 7 p.m. (In person only)
Charles Houston Recreation Center, 901 Wythe St.
- June 21: Community Meeting #2 at 7 p.m.
- June 29: Alexandria Federation of Civic Associations at 7 p.m.
- July 21: Park & Recreation Commission Public Hearing at 7 p.m. (In person only)
Patrick Henry Recreation Center, 4653 Taney Ave.
- September 14: Del Ray Civic Association
- September 21: Community Meeting #3 at 7 p.m.
Register in advance for this webinar: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_yvyozt4uQhiOfApo2T1ZoA
Meeting ID: 934 1289 9504
- November 1: Planning Commission Public Hearing
- November 12: City Council Public Hearing
- January, 18, 2023: Board of Architectural Review (BAR)
Community comments will continue to be accepted. Individuals unable to attend planned meetings may send comments by email to Jack.Browand@alexandriava.gov.
Civic Association Distribution List
- Seminary Hill Civic Association
- Brookville-Seminary Valley Civic Association
- Seminary Ridge Civic Association
- Strawberry Hill Civic Association
- Wakefield Tarleton Civic Association
- Del Ray Citizens Association
- Rosemont Citizens Association
- Braddock Metro Citizens' Coalition
- Braddock Station Civic Association
- West Old Town Citizens Association
- Upper King Street Neighborhood Association
- Old Town Civic Association
- Potomac Yard Civic Association
- Northeast Citizens Association