Award Nomination Forms
The Alexandria Commission on Persons with Disabilities (ACPD) is seeking applications for the Gerry Bertier Scholarship, and nominations for the John Duty Collins III Outstanding Advocate for Persons with Disabilities Award and two Disability Awareness Awards presented in conjunction with the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce. The awards will be presented at a reception on June 16, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., at City Hall (301 King Street).
To nominate a business for a Disability Awareness Award, please visit thechamberalx.com/disability-awards.html.
The deadline for applications and nominations is May 8, 2020.
About the Alexandria Commission on Persons with Disabilities
The Alexandria Commission on Persons with Disabilities (ACPD) is a 17 member volunteer resident at large body appointed by the Mayor and City Council to provide advice to the Mayor, City Council, and City Manager on policies, programs, and legislation affecting Alexandria's residents with physical and sensory disabilities.
Its mission is "to promote the rights of persons with disabilities by advocating for equality, dignity and independence through advising the community and advancing public awareness."
Through its Executive, standing, and ad hoc committees, the ACPD focuses its work on issues related to transportation, accessibility, housing, employment, and public awareness. The ACPD presents awards including the Gerry Bertier Scholarship and the John Duty Collins III Outstanding Advocate for Persons with Disabilities Award.
The ACPD meets at 7:00 p.m. on the second Wednesday of every month in the Chet and Sabra Avery Room 2000 at City Hall. The public is encouraged to attend. For more information or reasonable accommodations, Miladis Martinez Gutierrez at 703.746.3140, Virginia Relay 711 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information about the responsibilities of this board or commission, or to apply to serve on this board or commission, contact the City Clerk's Office at 703.746.4550.
- Virginia Poverty Law Center Senior Legal Helpline
- Tax Relief and Assistance Program for Elderly and Disabled Person
- Recently passed law for Alexandria residents provides tax advantaged saving opportunities for persons with disabilities and their families.
- National Disability Institute's Presentation on ABLE
Emergency Preparedness Links
- Alexandria Office of Emergency Management
- Virginia Department of Emergency Management
- Ready Virginia App Download
- Emergency Supply List
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- For information on voting in the City of Alexandria: Voter Registration and Elections
Support the Alexandria Commission on Persons with Disabilities
We welcome donations to support our scholarships and other programs.