Dog Parks in Alexandria
Fenced Dog Parks
Dog owners who believe their pets are not safe in an open exercise area are encouraged to visit a fenced dog park. Unless otherwise posted, dog parks and exercise areas are open from sunrise to sunset. Download a copy of the Dog Parks in your neighborhood, a guide to enjoying dog parks in the City including regulations and a dog park map.
- Potomac Yard at 561 East Monroe Ave. - Note: this is a public dog park and open to all community members
- Simpson Stadium Park at Monroe Ave. (lighted)
- Duke Street east of the Charles E. Beatley, Jr. Library
- Montgomery Park at the corner of Fairfax and 1st Streets
- Dog Run Park at Carlyle, 450 Andrew's Ln.
- Ben Brenman Park by Backlick Creek (lighted)
Unfenced Sites / Dog Exercise Areas
Unfenced off-leash dog exercise areas have defined boundaries marked by bollards and are designated locations for dogs and their owners to exercise and recreate without disrupting other uses of the parks. Unless otherwise posted, dog parks and exercise areas are open from sunrise to sunset.
- Founders Park at Oronoco Street and Union Street
- Windmill Hill Park at Gibbon and Union Streets (formally Pomander Walk)
- Southeast corner of Braddock Road and Commonwealth
- Hooff's Run, east of Commonwealth between Oak and Chapman Streets
- Ft. Williams Parkway at Dearborn Rd
- Tarleton Park
- Chambliss Street
- W. Timberbranch Parkway and Parkway Terrace*
- Chinquapin Park
- Monticello Park
- Four Mile Run Park / Edison Street cul-de-sac
- Mount Jefferson Park / W&OD Railroad at Raymond Avenue*
Dog Park / Exercise Area Rules & Regulations
Dogs are welcome in public parks, not designated as a dog exercise area, but are to be kept secured by a leash. The leash may be removed from a dog on private property, provided that the owner or person in control of such private property has permitted such dog to be present without a leash.
For the enjoyment of City residents and their dogs, the following rules apply at the Dog Parks and Exercise Areas:
- Unless otherwise posted, dog parks and areas are open from sunrise to sunset
- All dogs must be under their handlers' control.
- Only three dogs per handler are allowed.
- Dogs must be on leash when entering and exiting the park. Each handler must have a leash in hand at all other times.
- No dogs in heat are allowed.
- Only dogs 4 months and older are allowed.
- Dogs must be legally licensed, vaccinated and wearing both current tags.
- Handlers must keep their dogs in view at all times.
- Any bite occurring to a person or dog must be immediately reported to Alexandria Animal Control. Persons and dogs involved must wait for an officer to respond, except when immediate medical care is needed.
- Unleashed dogs must remain within the boundaries of the dog exercise area, as defined by bollards.
- Handlers must immediately pick up all feces and dispose of them in trash receptacles.
- Aggressive dogs (defined as dogs posing a threat to human beings or other dogs) are not allowed at any time. Handlers are legally responsible for their dogs, and any injury or damage to facilities caused by them.
In addition to the above rules, the following applies at Fenced Dog Parks:
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult when inside the fenced dog area.
- Food is not allowed inside the fenced dog area. Non-alcoholic beverages are allowed.
If people are not abiding by these regulations, please contact Alexandria Animal Control at 703-746-4774
Use of the parks are subject to the Alexandria City Code, including, but not limited to sections
6-1-2.2, 5-7-35, 5-7-42, 5-7-40, 5-7-38, 5-7-47