Landlord and Property Manager Resources
Landlord-Tenant Services and Policies
The Office of Housing provides housing-related mediation between landlords and tenants by mutual agreement. To learn more, contact Melodie Seau at firstname.lastname@example.org/703.746.3078.
- Download the Guide to Landlord-Tenant Laws & Policies to learn about tenants and landlord rights and responsibilities within the City.
Conversion and Relocation Assistance Policies
- Download the Housing Conversion Assistance Policy and Housing Relocation Assistance Policy to learn about City guidance to developers of rental projects that involve demolition, substantial rehabilitation, relocation, conversion to another use, sale of a rental condominium or cooperative units, and/or termination of affordable set-aside units.
- Download the Tenant Assistance and Relocation Policy for projects in or proposing to rezone to the new Residential Multifamily (RMF) Zone.
Voluntary Rent Increase Resolution
Download the 2019 Voluntary Rent Guidelines Resolution to learn about City guidance to owners of rental properties regarding annual rent increases.
Mold Remediation Requirements
To learn about disclosure requirements and tenant and landlord responsibilities, download the 2020 Guide on Mold in Rental Properties.
Rental Accessibility Modification Program (RAMP)
For information on the Rental Accessibility Modification Program, click here.
Housing Choice Voucher Program
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program, formerly Section 8, is administered locally by the Alexandria Redevelopment & Housing Authority (ARHA). The Program welcomes new landlords interested in accepting tenants with HCVs. To learn about eligibility requirements, click here. For more information, please contact:
- Marquisha Dean, ARHA Intake Program Manager, 703.549.7115, ext. 142
- Janell Diaz, ARHA Senior Intake Leasing Specialist, 703.549.7115, ext. 173
Landlord-Property Owner Trainings
Apartment Manager Seminars
- The 2022 Apartment Managers Seminar was held on September 21, 2022. The seminar discussed strategies and resources for supporting tenants with behavioral health conditions and people experiencing acute stress and anxiety.
- View a recording of the October 26, 2020 seminar.
Fair Housing Law Training
To promote compliance with fair housing laws among businesses involved in the sale, rental or management of property in the City of Alexandria, the Office of Housing provides training upon request for real estate and property management companies. To learn more, contact Melodie Seau at email@example.com/703.746.3078.