The City of Alexandria is hosting a public meeting to gather community input on housing discrimination, barriers to housing access, and fair housing issues in Alexandria. The meeting will be held virtually on December 9 from 6:30 to 8 pm. The meeting is free to attend, but registration is required. Registration information is available here.
The City of Alexandria was honored last week by the Urban Land Institute (ULI) with its Robert C. Larson Housing Policy Leadership Award. The Larson Award recognizes “exemplary state and local programs, policies, and practices that support the production, rehabilitation, or preservation of workforce and affordable housing.” In selecting Alexandria, ULI acknowledged the City’s residential multifamily (RMF) zone as an effective tool to incentivize the production or preservation of deeply affordable housing in exchange for the provision of density.
2021 Virtual Northern Virginia Housing Expo
The City of Alexandria invites anyone looking for resources and information related to affordable housing in Northern Virginia to join the virtual 2021 Northern Virginia Housing Expo beginning January 1, 2021. The free, online public event will be hosted at NoVaHousingExpo.org and will be available for the entire year. The expo will feature monthly workshops and exhibits designed to educate participants about COVID-19-related housing assistance, location options, being prepared for buying or renting, understanding and improving credit scores, improving energy efficiency and more. The virtual expo will also offer confidential individual financial counseling and provide a 24-hour Exhibitor Hall featuring lenders, property management companies, developers, contractors, real estate agents, service providers, local jurisdictions and more.
- Alexandria Eviction Prevention staff are available in-person for immediate assistance every Thursday from 10-12 p.m. at Casa Chirilagua, located at 4109 Mt. Vernon Avenue. Please call 571.351.3272 or email volunteerAEPP@alive-inc.org if you have questions!
On August 26, 2021, the US Supreme Court invalidated the federal eviction moratorium which had previously halted evictions through October 3, 2021 in locations where there have been surges in COVID-19 and increases in cases of the Delta variant. The eviction moratorium has been lifted across the country, including the City of Alexandria, as of August 27, 2021.
- On July 28, 2021, the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) announced that tenants of multifamily properties with mortgages backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac (the Enterprises) who are subject to eviction for nonpayment of rent must be given 30 days’ notice to vacate before the tenant can be required to leave the unit. This requirement applies to all Enterprise-backed multifamily properties, regardless of whether the loan is in forbearance. A list of properties in Alexandria covered by this provision can be found at this link.
Are you a renter who can’t pay your full rent due to COVID-19 related loss of income? A property owner with a tenant who can’t pay their rent? A homeowner who can’t make a mortgage payment?
We can help! Get started now!
Welcome to the Office of Housing
We provide a range of services to homeowners, renters, homebuyers, landlords and property managers and collaborate with development partners to preserve and create affordable and accessible housing options across the City of Alexandria. Please download our 2021 Housing Resource Guide (as well as guides in Spanish, Amharic, and Arabic), visit our resource links, and check out what's new! Learn about our mission, vision, and values .
For information about public housing and the Housing Choice (Section 8) Voucher Program, please contact the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
A portion of the City's housing activities are funded through annual grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's CDBG and HOME programs. The Office of Housing also works with programs funded and/or administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and Virginia Housing.
- City announces upcoming first-time homebuyer trainings in English and Spanish
- City to Host Fair
Housing Public Forum
- ARHA selects development partners to transform Samuel Madden public housing site into a mixed-income community
- City releases new
2021 Fair Housing Testing Report,
2021 Market Affordable Housing Update, and
2021 Affordability Quick Facts!
- City receives Sponsoring Partnerships & Revitalizing Communities (SPARC) funds for first-time homebuyer assistance
- City announces schedule for condominium and community association trainings. Register today!
- HUD Secretary Fudge, Congressman Beyer, and Mayor Wilson visit The Spire
- 2022 - 2026 Broad-Based 5-Year Environmental Review
- Resolution 2926 - City Endorsement of Council of Governments Regional Housing Initiative
+ much more!