2021 Virtual Northern Virginia Housing Expo
The City of Alexandria invites anyone looking for resources and information related to affordable housing in Northern Virginia to join the virtual 2021 Northern Virginia Housing Expo beginning January 1, 2021. The free, online public event will be hosted at NoVaHousingExpo.org and will be available for the entire year. The expo will feature monthly workshops and exhibits designed to educate participants about COVID-19-related housing assistance, location options, being prepared for buying or renting, understanding and improving credit scores, improving energy efficiency and more. The virtual expo will also offer confidential individual financial counseling and provide a 24-hour Exhibitor Hall featuring lenders, property management companies, developers, contractors, real estate agents, service providers, local jurisdictions and more.
Eviction Prevention and Housing Resources in Response to COVID-19
Are you a renter who can’t pay your full rent due to COVID-19 related loss of income? A property owner with a tenant who can’t pay their rent? A homeowner who can’t make a mortgage payment?
We can help! Get started now!
Welcome to the Office of Housing
We provide a range of services to homeowners, renters, homebuyers, landlords and property managers and collaborate with development partners to preserve and create affordable and accessible housing options across the City of Alexandria. Please download our 2021 Housing Resource Guide (as well as guides in Spanish, Amharic, and Arabic), visit our resource links, and check out what's new! Learn about our mission, vision, and values .
For information about public housing and the Housing Choice (Section 8) Voucher Program, please contact the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
A portion of the City's housing activities are funded through annual grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's CDBG and HOME programs (check out our video below). The Office of Housing also works with programs funded and/or administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and the Virginia Housing Development Authority.
- City Releases Draft Citizen Summary for FY22-26 Comprehensive Plan.
- Learn about the ongoing City's CoHousing Initiative.
- Apply today to live affordably at The Spire!
- Ramsey Homes Symposium: Historic Preservation, Community, and Architecture of Public Housing in Alexandria was held virtually on February 11, 2011. The symposium discussed the innovative construction of the World War II era Ramsey Homes and their African American residents. Originally built as temporary housing for African American war industry workers in the 1940s, the homes later served as permanent affordable housing for Alexandria residents for 65 years. Symposium panelists explored the history of public housing, genealogy of early residents, and the building’s unique construction and place in architectural history. The symposium concluded with a virtual experience of the new Lineage community on North Patrick Street. Recordings of final two sessions can be accessed here.
- Draft Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) for FY 2020
- City Approves Accessory Dwelling Unit Ordinance
- Resolution 2926 - City Endorsement of Council of Governments Regional Housing Initiative
+ much more!