Welcome to the Office of Housing!
We provide a range of services to homeowners, renters, homebuyers, landlords and property managers and collaborate with development partners to preserve and create affordable and accessible housing options across the City of Alexandria. Please download our 2020 Housing Resource Guide (Spanish, Amharic, and Arabic versions will be available shortly), visit our resource links, and check out what's new! Learn about our mission, vision, and values .
For information about public housing and the Housing Choice (Section 8) Voucher Program, please contact the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
A portion of the City's housing activities are funded through annual grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's CDBG and HOME programs (check out our video!). The Office of Housing also works with programs funded and/or administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and the Virginia Housing Development Authority.
Housing Resources in Response to COVID-19
Learn about local, state, and federal renter, homeowner, and landlord resources available to address the impacts of COVID-19.
- Can't pay your full rent due to COVID-19 related loss of income? You may be eligible for a one-time, rental assistance payment of up to $1,800. The City is continuing to accept applications for the COVID-19 Emergency Rent Relief Assistance Program. Apply for assistance online or by calling 703.746.3100 during city business hours. To obtain a hard copy of the application or for further questions, please call 703.746.4990. No application fee.
- If you need assistance beyond this program, please contact the Department of Community and Human Services at 703.746.5700 to inquire about available programs and services, including the Virginia Rent and Mortgage Relief Program.
- Notice of Intent to Release Federal CDBG and HOME Funds
- Senior Services of Alexandria Announces Senior Law Day
- Legal Services on Protections for Tenants During COVID - 19 (June 29, 2020)
- Learn about the the City's Accessory Dwelling Unit Study
- A Note from the Office of Housing
- Revised Draft 2021 Annual Action Plan Released for Housing and Community Development
- Notice of Finding of No Significant Impact & Notice of Intent to Request Release of Funds for the Waypoint at Fairlington Project
- Resolution 2926 - City Endorsement of Council of Governments Regional Housing Initiative
+ much more!