Welcome to the Office of Housing!
We provide a range of services to homeowners, renters, homebuyers, landlords and property managers and collaborate with development partners to preserve and create affordable and accessible housing options across the City of Alexandria. Please download our 2020 Housing Resource Guide (Spanish, Amharic, and Arabic versions will be available shortly), visit our resource links, and check out what's new! Learn about our mission, vision, and values .
For information about public housing and the Housing Choice (Section 8) Voucher Program, please contact the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
A portion of the City's housing activities are funded through annual grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's CDBG and HOME programs (check out our video!). The Office of Housing also works with programs funded and/or administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and the Virginia Housing Development Authority.
Housing Resources in Response to COVID-19
Learn about local, state, and federal renter, homeowner, and landlord resources available to address the impacts of COVID-19.
- Can't pay your full rent due to COVID-19 related loss of income? The City is continuing to accept applications for a new rent relief program. To learn about the program and eligibility criteria, visit the COVID-19 Emergency Rent Relief Assistance Program. Apply for assistance by calling 703.746.3100 during city business hours. Applications that were received through Friday, May 29 are now being reviewed as part of the first application cycle. Applications received after May 29 will be reviewed on a rolling basis contingent on funding availability. Please call 703-746-4990 if you would like a hard copy of the application or have further questions. No application fee.
- COVID-19 Emergency Rent Relief Assistance Program Announced
- Learn about the the City's Accessory Dwelling Unit Study
- A Note from the Office of Housing
- Revised Draft 2021 Annual Action Plan Released for Housing and Community Development
- Notice of Finding of No Significant Impact & Notice of Intent to Request Release of Funds for the Waypoint at Fairlington Project
- Resolution 2926 - City Endorsement of Council of Governments Regional Housing Initiative
+ much more!