City Hosts Fair Housing Public Forum
The City of Alexandria hosted a virtual public meeting to gather community input on housing discrimination, barriers to housing access, and fair housing issues in Alexandria on December 9. To learn more, click here.
The City of Alexandria was honored by the Urban Land Institute (ULI) with its Robert C. Larson Housing Policy Leadership Award. The Larson Award recognizes “exemplary state and local programs, policies, and practices that support the production, rehabilitation, or preservation of workforce and affordable housing.” In selecting Alexandria, ULI acknowledged the City’s residential multifamily (RMF) zone as an effective tool to incentivize the production or preservation of deeply affordable housing in exchange for the provision of density.
2021 Virtual Northern Virginia Housing Expo
The City of Alexandria invites anyone looking for resources and information related to affordable housing in Northern Virginia to join the virtual 2021 Northern Virginia Housing Expo beginning January 1, 2021. The free, online public event will be hosted at NoVaHousingExpo.org and will be available for the entire year. The expo will feature monthly workshops and exhibits designed to educate participants about COVID-19-related housing assistance, location options, being prepared for buying or renting, understanding and improving credit scores, improving energy efficiency and more. The virtual expo will also offer confidential individual financial counseling and provide a 24-hour Exhibitor Hall featuring lenders, property management companies, developers, contractors, real estate agents, service providers, local jurisdictions and more.
- Alexandria Eviction Prevention staff are available in-person for immediate assistance every Thursday from 10-12 p.m. at Casa Chirilagua, located at 4109 Mt. Vernon Avenue. Please call 571.351.3272 or email volunteerAEPP@alive-inc.org if you have questions!
- NEW! The State of Virginia has launched a statewide Mortgage Relief Program to help prevent and/or ease mortgage delinquencies, defaults, foreclosures and displacement for persons experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please call 833.687.8677 to learn more or apply online here.
Are you a renter who can’t pay your full rent due to COVID-19 related loss of income? A property owner with a tenant who can’t pay their rent? A homeowner who can’t make a mortgage payment?
We can help! Get started now!
Welcome to the Office of Housing
We provide a range of services to homeowners, renters, homebuyers, landlords and property managers and collaborate with development partners to preserve and create affordable and accessible housing options across the City of Alexandria. Please download our 2021 Housing Resource Guide (as well as guides in Spanish, Amharic, and Arabic), visit our resource links, and check out what's new! Learn about our mission, vision, and values .
For information about public housing and the Housing Choice (Section 8) Voucher Program, please contact the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
A portion of the City's housing activities are funded through annual grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's CDBG and HOME programs. The Office of Housing also works with programs funded and/or administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and Virginia Housing.
- ARHA selects development partners to transform Samuel Madden public housing site into a mixed-income community
- City releases new
2021 Fair Housing Testing Report,
2021 Market Affordable Housing Update, and
2021 Affordability Quick Facts!
- City receives Sponsoring Partnerships & Revitalizing Communities (SPARC) funds for first-time homebuyer assistance
- City announces schedule for condominium and community association trainings. Register today!
- HUD Secretary Fudge, Congressman Beyer, and Mayor Wilson visit The Spire
- 2022 - 2026 Broad-Based 5-Year Environmental Review
- Resolution 2926 - City Endorsement of Council of Governments Regional Housing Initiative
+ much more!