Fire Department Recruitment
About the Alexandria Fire Department
The Alexandria Fire Department employs more than 300 professional personnel, which includes firefighters, paramedics, fire prevention staff and administrative support. A network of 10 stations protects nearly 16 square miles. Among the department's specialized teams are the Northern Virginia Regional Hazardous Materials Team, Technical Rescue, Marine Operations and the Inland Water Rescue teams.
Our mission is to plan for and deliver responsive and caring emergency service, mitigate emergencies and disasters, prevent the loss of life, protect property and enforce applicable construction, fire, and building maintenance codes for the City residents and the general public in order to maintain and enhance public safety. We are dedicated to our community, to our profession and to each other.
How to Apply
The application process for the Alexandria Fire Department is currently closed. To receive notifications when our process reopens, complete this job interest form. For questions about recruitment and the application processes, please contact AFD's recruiters at Fire.email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted online through NeoGov. You will need to set up an account if you have not applied in NeoGov previously. If you have previously applied to another agency or for another position with the City of Alexandria, you will need to enter your NeoGov username and password. An email address is necessary to apply online. Upon completion and submission of your application, you will receive an email notification stating your application has been received.
To apply online, click the job title you are interested in and then click the "Apply" link. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a username and password. After your account has been established, you can build an application by clicking on the "Build Job Application" link. This application can be saved and used to apply for more than one job opening.
Thank you for your interest in the Alexandria Fire Department.
Contact the Recruitment Staff
Alexandria Fire Department
900 Second Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Telephone: (703) 746-5276
Firefighter I Job Description
Firefighter I is a full time, paid, uniform, entry-level position in the Alexandria Fire Department. The starting annual salary is $53,535.56. The Firefighter I recruit learns and performs firefighting, emergency medical services, and fire prevention in a combination of classroom and on-the-job training.
FOR THOSE APPLICANTS WHO HAVE THEIR NATIONAL REGISTRY PARAMEDIC OR VIRGINIA EMT-INTERMEDIATE CERTIFICATION
Candidates who are certified as a National Registry Paramedic (NRP) will be hired as a Firefighter I at the annual salary of $53,535.56. The NRP candidate will be entitled to a lump sum bonus of $5,000.00 upon verification of Virginia certification eligibility/reciprocity. NRP candidates will begin receiving a $10,000.00 a year incentive once they begin session 2 of the ALS Internship program.
- Firefighting and Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Participating in fire prevention activities (inspections, public education, pre-fire building surveys)
- Operating apparatus and equipment
- Attending drills, training, and classes
- Participating in physical fitness training
- Maintaining, cleaning, and inspecting equipment and fire stations
- Other related duties and assignments
- high school diploma or GED
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Valid motor vehicle operator’s license with no restrictions
- NO felony convictions
Applicant Selection Process
You don't have to be a United States citizen to work for the Alexandria Fire Department; however, you must present official documentation that you are eligible to work in the U.S. There is no residency requirement to apply. The selection process consists of the following steps and may take up to a year to complete.
- Submission of online application
- Application screening
- Communication of eligibility via letter/email
- Mandatory orientation and Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) – orientation video, practice CPAT, timed runs, official test
- Written examination
- Background questionnaire and ongoing background investigation
- Panel interview
- Polygraph evaluation
- Psychological evaluation
- Medical examination
- Fire Chief interview
You must be smoke-free at the time of appointment, and be willing to sign a Conditions of Employment Agreement to not smoke on- or off-duty.
Firefighter Applicant Disqualifiers
The following are considered disqualifying factors, which shall result in non-selection for employment opportunities in uniform positions with the Alexandria Fire Department.
- Conviction of any felony
- Conviction of initiating a false alarm as an adult
- Conviction of arson or arson-related crime
- Commission of undetected crimes of a serious or repetitive nature
- Conviction of any crime against a person entrusted to his/her care or protection in which the victims is a patient or is a resident of a health care facility.
- Any punitive discharge from the military: including Bad Conduct and Dishonorable discharge; from any military service
- Any founded charge of child abuse or neglect
- Inclusion on either the National Sex Offender Public Website or the Virginia State Department of Social Services’ Child Protective Services Registry
- Permanent revocation of EMS certification or license in Virginia or any other state; and disciplinary or enforcement action by Virginia or other state EMS office or other recognized state or national health care provider licensing or certifying body in the last five years.
- Untruthfulness, the withholding of information, or deliberate inaccuracies, on any application, interview or paperwork, or cheating on any examination or testing associated with the selection process
While illegal drug use is highly discouraged, it is not an automatic disqualifying criterion. Recent illegal drug use and frequency of drug use will be examined at multiple stages of the process and may result in non-selection.
The City of Alexandria is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. If you require special accommodations to proceed in the selection process, please contact the Recruitment Section at (703) 746-5276 prior to the scheduled event. Please inform us of any changes to your address, email, or phone number to ensure proper notification for each exam. Please make sure you update your email settings so messages from Alexandria Fire Department won't be delivered to your SPAM folder.