Guidelines for Civic Discourse
Members of the Alexandria community, its elected officials and City staff place a high value on constructive and thoughtful debate on public issues. To this end, all who participate in meetings in the Chamber, including public officials, staff and members of the community, are expected to observe the following guidelines.
- Treat Everyone with Respect and Courtesy
- Do Your Homework – Be Prepared and Be Familiar with the Docket
- Express Your Ideas and Opinions in an Open and Helpful Manner
- Be Respectful of Others’ Time by Being Clear and Concise in Your Comments and/or Questions
- Demonstrate Honesty and Integrity in Your Comments and Actions
- Focus on the Issues Before the Decision Making Body – Avoid Personalizing Issues
- Listen and Let Others Express their Ideas and Opinions
- If a Decision is Made with which You Do Not Concur, Agree to Disagree and/or Use Appropriate Means of Civil and Civic recourse, and Move On
Adopted by the Alexandria City Council on October 12, 2004.