COVID-19: Support & Guidance for Businesses and Schools
Schools and businesses in Alexandria are essential in preventing the spread of COVID-19 in the community. Guidance listed on this page is designed to help businesses and school administrators continue to protect students, staff and the community against COVID-19. If you have further questions, please contact AHD.
Support for Schools and Daycares
Schools, services or facilities licensed or operated by an agency of the Commonwealth, and summer camps (See: Section 32.1-37) are required to report disease outbreaks to their local health department. COVID-19 outbreaks are usually defined as 3 or more associated cases within a 14-day period. If you are an administrator reporting a suspected outbreak, please complete this online form.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and a representative from AHD’s COVID-19 School Response Team will respond within two business days.
Please also see the following VDH and CDC resources for additional guidance regarding COVID-19 prevention and mitigation practices:
Support for Businesses
For questions about best practices in stopping the spread of COVID-19 among your customers and staff, please contact AHD. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has CDC Guidance for Workplaces and Businesses including information about:
- reducing the spread of COVID-19
- workplace cleaning and disinfection
- dealing with potential or confirmed cases in the workplace
- healthy business operations
- maintaining critical infrastructure.
Virigina Department of Health requests that employers continue to report all COVID-19 employee cases. If one of your employees has tested positive for COVID-19, please complete this confidential online report form. Once this report is received, AHD staff may contact you or the employee for further information to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
Support is available for Alexandria businesses facing the operational and financial effects of COVID-19.
- View resources from the Alexandria Economic Development Partnership about disaster assistance, tax and regulatory changes, support for affected workers and how to support small businesses.
- Reach out to the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce for more business support.
- Learn about the Alexandria Business Outdoors program, which allows for business and retail to take place in on-street parking spaces, on sidewalks and in private parking lots, allowing for social distancing and increased ventilation.
- Restaurant owners and operators may obtain regulatory information and recommendations from the links below:
- Alexandria Health Department Environmental Health Division
- Virginia Department of Health Guidance for Restaurants
Visit Alexandria is helping everyone experience Alexandria’s restaurants, shops and attractions from the comfort of their own home.