Commission for Women
About the Commission for Women
Upon completion of a 1974 study on the status of women, the Alexandria City Council established the Commission for Women in order to eliminate gender discrimination and to encourage equal opportunity for women in all aspects of their lives. Today, the Commission's members continue to provide advice and consultation to City Council on issues concerning women.
Alexandria Commission for Women Status of Women Report
View the Alexandria Commission for Women Status of Women Report. For more information or to join an Alexandria Board or Commission, contact the Alexandria Clerk of the Council at 703.746.3975. To contact the Commission for Women, send an email.
Commission for Meetings
The Commission for Women is composed of 15 volunteers, appointed by City Council, and an Executive Director from City staff. The Commission meets the second Tuesday of every month, from September through June, at 7 p.m. in room 2000 at City Hall. All Commission meetings are open to the public. Residents are welcome to attend meetings.
Commission sub-committees include data collection and assessment, events and programs, and public policy and advocacy.
Commission for Women Initiatives
Commission efforts are largely centered on:
(1) Supporting existing City programs that focus on women, specifically: Domestic Violence Program (DVP), Sexual Assault Program (SAP), Alexandria Campaign on Adolescent Pregnancy (ACAP).
(2) Providing guidance and advice to the City on relevant legislation and public policy issues.
(4) The preservation and promotion of women’s history in Alexandria through the Women’s History Tour and related projects.
In addition, the Commission stays active on affairs within the city. Commissioners learn about and provide insight on local issues by attending Council meetings, hearings and symposia, inviting speakers to Commission meetings, and attending educational and civic programs within the City and around the region.
Commission for Women Events and Contributions
Through its non-profit arm, the Friends of the Commission for Women, the Commission also assists with an annual fundraiser whose proceeds are designated for a specific program or area of need each year, and a winter Women's Holiday Art Market showcasing the work of local women artists.
Other activities throughout the year include:
- Civic Activism: Women Leading the Way
Hosted by the Alexandria Commission for Women and the Friends of the Commission for Women
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month activities in October
- Outreach at the Old Town Alexandria Farmer's Market
- Celebrating International Women's Day
- Supporting various events such as the Women's Safehouse grocery store fundraisers and the Domestic Violence Children's Holiday Party
- Increasing awareness of the significant contributions women have made throughout Alexandria's history
Opportunities to volunteer for the Commission for Women include:
- Supporting the Vola Lawson Memorial Fund to Fight Breast Cancer
- Art Party (soliciting artists, event planning and event staffing on the day of the event)
- Children's Holiday Party (children’s gift donations)
- Salute to Women (soliciting sponsorship and donations, event planning and event staffing on the day of the event)
- Take our Daughter and Sons to Work Day (soliciting business tours, serving as a tour guide and event staff on the day of the event)
- Serving as a tour guide for our Women’s History Tour
- Serving as a volunteer on the Friends of the Commission for women
To learn more about volunteer opportunities please email your contact information, interests and availability to the Commission.