Office of the Alexandria Independent Policing Auditor
||Office Address:||123 N Pitt Street, Suite 225, Alexandria, VA 22314|
Key components of Alexandria Community Oversight of Law Enforcement
- Complaint, Commendation and Feedback Intake and Review
- APD Policy/Practices Review, Analysis and Recommendations
- Relationship Building
- Community Engagement
- Board Guidance
- Periodic Reporting
- Professional Development & Coverage
- Other Key Initiatives
The City of Alexandria's Office of the Independent Policing Auditor was first established in April 2021 pursuant to Alexandria City Code Art. 4, § 4-1-5 thru 4-1-6 as a mechanism with which to provide oversight and accountability of the Alexandria Police Department (APD). The City of Alexandria’s first Independent Policing Auditor commenced in December 2022. This office serves a proactive leader in law enforcement accountability of APD to the population it serves and is independent of APD. The City Council also voted unanimously to adopt an ordinance establishing the structure of a new Independent Community Policing Review Board, to be effective as of July 1, 2021 along with its authorizing state law.
To promote fair and equitable policing in the City of Alexandria through the promotion of law enforcement accountability, law enforcement transparency and enhancement of public safety, and ultimately, strengthen trust in the community.
Independent Community Policing Review of Alexandria Law Enforcement
- is fair and impartial
- is independent of the Alexandria Police Department.
- conducts reviews and investigations with diligence, integrity, objectively, fairness, and in a timely manner.
- educates and learns from communities it serves.
- consists of a professional, knowledgeable, and trained staff.
- committed to independent and thorough oversight while building bridges with the Alexandria community.
If you or your community or business group would like to learn more about civilian oversight of law enforcement in the City of Alexandria, we invite you to contact our organization. We are available to speak on a variety of topics at your next meeting, including, but not limited to: Overview of Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement; History: Life Before and Life Since Creation of Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement in Alexandria; Complaint and Investigations Process; and Other Related Topics. We welcome the opportunity to share more information about our office or the board as well as collaborate with the community more regarding positive enhancement of policing in Alexandria. To schedule a speaker, contact us.