Licenses and Permits
Building and Construction
Permits are required for most construction and maintenance work of buildings and structures.
- Building Permits – Getting Started
- Building & Construction Permits
- Noise Permits
- Other Permits
- Permit Center
- Permit Requirements
- Requirements for Residential Basement Alterations/Renovations
- Water Quality Regulation & Permitting
- Work in Public Right-of-Way Permits
- Zoning Information
- Zoning Services
Taxes and Licenses
The City extends the privilege to engage in a commercial enterprise by issuing a business license. Persons without a business license may not lawfully engage in business. The license, which is often referred to as a permit or certificate of eligibility, must be renewed annually. Businesses, professionals, and occupations that meet all qualifications and legal requirements are eligible to obtain licenses upon application and payment of the license tax.
- Bank Franchise License Tax
- Business License Tax
- Business Outdoor Program & Permits
- Business Tax
- How Business Tax is Calculated
- Licensing & Tax Guide for Non-Profit Organizations
- New Business Guide
- Personal Property Tax
- Tax Forms
- Tax Services & Enforcement
- Taxes, Permits and Business in the City – FAQ
Family Child Care Permit
All family child care homes in the City of Alexandria that are not state licensed must register with the Department of Community & Human Services Early Childhood Division. To care for more than six children you must have an assistant, a state license (call 703.934.1505) and a Special Use Permit (call 703.746.4200 for information).
Food and Health
Parks, Athletic Fields and Special Events
Vehicles and Parking
The City's parking enforcement officers regularly patrol to enforce regulations concerning the operation of vehicles as well as stopping, standing and parking on the City's streets. The Treasury Division is responsible for processing the payment of any citation issued by Parking Enforcement and for enforcing the collection of unpaid fines and penalties related to those citations.