E. Monroe Avenue Bike Lanes
Implementation of the Monroe Avenue project is complete!
- New curb extensions installed at Dewitt and Commonwealth Avenues
- Upgraded crosswalks along the entire corridor
- Sidewalk repairs along the entire corridor
- New bike racks were installed at Commonwealth Avenue and Simpson Park
- Pedestrian countdown signals were installed at Commonwealth Avenue
- A flashing pedestrian sign was installed for the crosswalk at Leslie Avenue
- Bike lane and shared lane markings were installed between Leslie and Commonwealth Avenues
- Parking on the north side of the street between Leslie and Mount Vernon Avenues was relocated to the south side
The City received a number of requests from residents and civic associations for traffic calming and bicycle facilities on Monroe Avenue in Del Ray. To accommodate these requests, the City is seeking input on a plan to make Monroe Avenue a Complete Street. An original proposal was presented at the Del Ray Citizen's Association Transportation and Pedestrian Safety Committee on September 16, 2013 to solicit feedback from the community. At that meeting, the City received additional requests for an expanded scope. The City then collected additional data and agreed with the community to expand the project limits to include the entire Monroe Avenue Corridor.
A meeting was held on May 20, 2014 to solicit more feedback from the community regarding the project and potential Complete Street redesign for Monroe Avenue. The general feedback from the meeting included comments and suggestions regarding street markings, pedestrian safety improvements at intersections, bicycle facilities and signal improvements. The City hosted a second public meeting on September 4, 2014 to gather community input on proposed recommendations for Monroe Avenue. A full list of the comments from the May 20th meeting can be viewed here. The proposals attempt to address as many of the comments as possible. On November 12, 2014 the Del Ray Citizen's Association voted in favor of Option 2 for the Monroe Avenue Complete Streets project. All of the pedestrian improvements were included, and Option 2 provides bicycle lanes on Monroe Avenue between Mount Vernon Avenue and Leslie Avenue but maintains parking in front of Simpson Park.
The Del Ray Citizens' Association approved plan was presented to the City's Traffic and Parking Board for final approval this on February 23, 2015. The Board unanimously approved the project.
- Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee 8.19.13
- Del Ray Citizen's Association Transportation and Pedestrian Safety Committee 9.16.13
- Monroe Avenue Public Meeting 5.20.14
- Monroe Avenue Public Meeting 9.4.2014
- Del Ray Citizen's Association Membership Meeting 11.12.2014
- Traffic and Parking Board 2.23.2015