Alexandria Beautification Commission
The Alexandria Beautification Commission represents citizen values, facilitates community projects, promulgates best practices, and recognizes important achievements in order to improve the appearance and experience of the City of Alexandria.
For more information, find us on Facebook or click here.
The Alexandria Beautification Commission has been serving the City since the early 1960's when it hosted the first City Refuse Collector's Appreciation Breakfast. The Breakfast is an annual tradition that continues to this day, and is held on the last day of spring clean-up.
- Makes recommendations to City Council and City Departments concerning landscape aesthetic improvements to the City's right-of-ways and City Property
- Sponsors the Alexandria Beautification Awards to recognize residences, businesses, institutions and public properties that beautify their surroundings through landscaping, maintenance, and litter clean-up
- Involves schools, business and homeowners in programs such as Arbor Day, Earth Day, and Adopt a Garden
- Hosts the Sanitation Worker's Appreciation Breakfast, held during the City's Annual Spring Clean-up
- Supports activities and policies to increase the City's Tree Canopy
Membership and Feedback
2014 Membership Roster
Ruth McKenty, Chairperson
For membership information, click here.
For Commission vacancies, click here.
If you would like to contact us about beautification issues and opportunities, please send your correspondence to:
The Alexandria Beautification Commission
P. O. Box 178
Alexandria, VA 22313
The Commission meets on the second Thursday of each month, at 7:30 pm., Durant Center, 1605 Cameron Street. For additional information, call 703.746.5500.
2014 Meeting Schedule
- January 9
- February 13
- March 13
- April 10
- May 8
- June 12
- September 11
- October 9
- November 13
- December 11
Alexandria Beautification Awards
The Commission sponsors the annual Alexandria Beautification Awards recognizing residents, businesses and public sector efforts to contribute to the beautification of their neighborhoods and public vistas. Each year the Commission canvases the City in search of properties that have inproved their surroundings through landscape, maintenance, and other community efforts. The Commission also solicits award nominations from the public. Nominations are based on the following criteria:
- Visibility from public right of way - judging is limited to property visible from the public right of way
- Overall appearance in relation to the surrounding neighborhood
- Noticeable improvement
- Landscaping accents and elements
Note that previous winners are not eligible for nomination for a period of five years from their award date. If you are interesting in submitting a nomination to the Commission, please complete and return the Beautification Commission Nomination Form.
Beautification Awards Nomination Form
Commission members make the final decision on Award recipients. The Award winners receive their certificate at a ceremony held in October. The Award is presented by the Mayor and City Council. To view previous Beautification Award Winners click on the following:
- 2013 Beautification Award Winners