Reporting a Disease or Outbreak?
To report a disease to Alexandria Health Department, please follow these steps.
Consult Virginia Reportable Disease List
If disease should be reported immediately (within 24 hours for rapidly reportable conditions), call 703.746.4951. For TB (or suspected TB), call 703.746.4960 and press 2 to speak with a nurse.
If disease should be reported within 3 days:
- Report online through the Online Disease Reporting Portal (links to the Virginia Department of Health)
- Call 703.746.4951
- If you experience technical issues with the VDH Disease Reporting Portal, please download the VDH Disease Reporting Form (Epi-1) and
- Fax form to: 703.746.4953
- Mail form to: ATTN: Communicable Disease, 4480 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22302
Reports must include: Patient's name, home address, and phone number; patient's date of birth; date of diagnosis; date of symptom onset
Suspect a disease of public health concern but no confirmation yet?
Virginia Department of Health (VDH) encourages you to report suspected cases of diseases before laboratory confirmation (e.g. mumps, B. pertussis, meningitis, etc.) to the Health Department immediately so we can:
- Provide guidance on lab testing and facilitate sending specimens to the state public health lab
- Offer infection control recommendations
- Start a public health investigation right away
If you would like to report aggregate influenza testing results please use the AHD Weekly Influenza Reporting Form
Virginia State law requires requires all physicians report certain diseases to the local health department serving the jurisdiction where the physician practices.
- Code of Virginia, sections 32.1-36 and 32.1-37
- Regulations for Disease Reporting and Control from the Board of Health, sections 12 VAC 5-90-80 and 12 VAC 5-90-90
Looking for another local health department? Visit the VDH Local Health District Directory.
Local Reports to Clinicians
Annual Summary of Reportable Diseases: Every year, our epidemiology program compiles a report summarizing cases of reportable diseases investigated by Alexandria Health Department. The report also highlights notable public health topics and initiatives in our community. Past reports are available below.
Monthly Local Public Health Alerts: Alexandria’s epidemiology program sends monthly reports to providers with important public health information.
Please email email@example.com or call 703.746.4951 to add your office to the distribution list for our annual or monthly reports. Visit our Epidemiology page to learn more about Alexandria Health Department's program.
Additional Resources for Clinicians
Virginia Department of Health offers useful resources for healthcare providers including: letters to clinicians from the State Health Commissioner, training opportunities, best practices and more. Visit: www.vdh.virginia.gov/clinicians/
How do a I start a Respiratory Protection Program for my office?
For more information on creating a Respiratory Protection Program visit https://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3079.pdf