- North Potomac Yard Advisory Group Worksession, Thursday, June 30, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
City Hall, 301 King Street, Room 2000
- New to the North Potomac Yard planning process? Find answers to frequently asked questions.
- Group Exercise Results from June 6 Advisory Group meeting
- North Potomac Yard Workshop Working Drawings - Option 1 | Option 2
- Photos taken during the North Potomac Yard SAP Workshop and Open House
The North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan, approved in 2010, provides a planning blueprint to guide public and private investment and development decisions in the northern portion of Potomac Yard (also called Landbay F). As written in 2010, “The Plan focuses on the creation of dynamic urban forms, a complementary mix of land uses, community amenities, and a range of housing opportunities. The Plan is a framework to create one of the most sustainable series of neighborhoods within the region, known for its outstanding Four Mile Run waterfront, parks, public transportation, innovative architecture, environmentally sustainable design and practices, and incorporation of Alexandria’s rich history and culture.”
In 2015, the North Potomac Yard developer representative, JBG Companies, indicated a desire to begin the process for redevelopment of North Potomac Yard, which may necessitate amendments to the 2010 North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan and Design Standards. JBG has indicated that they intend to meet the intent of the existing Plan for a mixed use transit oriented urban community and the specified mix of office, residential, retail and other permitted uses. It is anticipated that the planning process will take 12-14 months. A North Potomac Yard Advisory Group, established by City Council in February 2016, will serve as the community engagement forum to review the Plan and proposed amendments.
Previous Meetings and Information
- Monday, June 27, 2016: North Potomac Yard Advisory Group Meeting #4
- Monday, June 6, 2016: North Potomac Yard Advisory Group Meeting #3
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: North Potomac Yard SAP Workshop and Open House
The Station at Potomac Yard, Community Room, 650 Maskell Street
- Monday, May 16, 2016: North Potomac Yard Advisory Group Meeting #2
Charles Houston Rec Center, 901 Wythe Street
- Saturday, April 30, 2016: North Potomac Yard Advisory Group Precedent Tour
The North Potomac Yard Advisory Group and community were invited to attend a bus tour facilitated by City staff and JBG Companies, the North Potomac Yard developer representative. The tour included visits to local and regional projects highlighting good urban design, high quality architecture, retail streets, and open space connectivity.
- Monday, April 18, 2016: North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan Update Kick-Off Meeting
Charles Houston Rec Center, 901 Wythe Street
Ad Hoc North Potomac Yard Advisory Group
On February 23, 2016 the City Council established an Ad Hoc North Potomac Yard Advisory Group through Resolution 2710. The mission of this group is to provide guidance to staff on potential updates to the North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan.
Solicitation for Applications for the Advisory Group was open from February 26, 2016 - March 14, 2016. As specified by the Resolution, the City Manager conducted the member selection process. The City anticipates convening the Advisory Group in April 2016, and holding monthly meetings over the course of the approximately 14-month process. All activities and meetings by the Advisory Group will be public.
Advisory Group Members:
- Stephen Koenig, Chair (Planning Commission)
- Jon Frederick (Alexandria Housing Affordability Advisory Committee)
- Michael Peter (Parks & Recreation Commission)
- Ryan Jones (Transportation Commission)
- Jeremy Fretts (Potomac Yard Design Advisory Committee)
- Bill Hendrickson (Del Ray Citizens Association)
- Reuben Juster (Lynhaven Civic Association)
- Patricia Harris (At-Large, Resident of Potomac Yard)
- Nancy Appleby (At-Large, Business Representative)
- Colleen Stover (At-Large, Community Resident)
- Mike Caison (At-Large, Community Resident)
- Garrett Erdle (At-Large, Community Resident)
Questions may be directed to Richard Lawrence by email at email@example.com or by phone at 703-746-3849.
- Civic Engagement Framework for North Potomac Yard SAP Update
- Advisory Group Schedule as of May 12, 2016
- Resolution 2710 establishing the 2016 Advisory Group
- North Potomac Yard Plan Area Map
- North Potomac Yard Context Map
- North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan 2010
- Potomac Yard Landbay Map
- Potomac Yard Main Page