City of Alexandria Master Plan
The Alexandria Master Plan is made up of 20 Small Area Plans covering neighborhoods throughout the city, as well as topical chapters of citywide relevancy, such as Historic Preservation, Urban Design, Transportation, and Open Space. The Alexandria Master Plan was adopted by the City Council on June 13, 1992, and chapters are added or updated on an ongoing basis as needed through Master Plan Amendments. Any revisions will be posted on this page.
Page updated on October 16, 2023 at 2:19 PM
WARNING: You have chosen to translate this page using an automated translation system. This translation has not been reviewed by the City of Alexandria and may contain errors.
City Master Plan Map
- Instructions for Interactive Master Plan map
- Zoom in to view Small Area Plan labels.
- Click on an area of the map to view Small Area Plan information and document/map links.
- Enter your address in the search box at the top right corner of the map to determine the Small Area Plan, then click on that Small Area Plan label to get information about the Plan.
- Get a printable City Master Plan map
- Criteria for Rezoning without a Master Plan Study (Adopted by City Council 12/18/10)
- Status of Implementation Reports for the City's Master Plan
Past Master Plans and Policy Documents
- 1975. Report of the Committee on Potential Growth Areas.
- 1974. Consolidated Master Plan. This plan was a comprehensive update of the 1962 and 1963 planning documents.
- 1963. Community Facilities Master Plan. Entitled "To Serve 165,000," this plan was prepared as a followup to the adoption of the land use plan and transportation plan in 1962, and a comprehensive rezoning in 1963.
- 1962. Generalized Land Use and Transportation Plan
- 1955. City of Alexandria Annual Report
Contact José Delcid, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703.746.3837.