Volunteering with Historic Alexandria
Volunteering with Historic Alexandria Museums
Hundreds of volunteers provide their time, skills and expertise each year to assist in many areas of work within the Office of Historic Alexandria and its museums and historic sites. Study artifacts, conduct museum tours, use your computer skills, tabulate research findings – these are only a few of the dozens of ways to contribute your time, talents and energy.
Select a Museum
Learn about volunteer opportunities at City of Alexandria museums and programs, and fill out an on-line volunteer application for the museum where you would like to work.
- Alexandria Archaeology Museum
- Alexandria Black History Museum
- Alexandria History Museum at The Lyceum
- Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site
- Gadsby's Tavern Museum
- Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
The following museums are not operated by the City of Alexandria but do use volunteers. Contact these museums directly or check with Volunteer Alexandria.
Select an Activity
Would you like to:
- Help preserve and share archaeological resources? Check out the current opportunities at Alexandria Archaeology.
- Conduct guided tours? Try Black History, Gadsby's Tavern, Alexandria History Museum or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum.
- Greet visitors and help them enjoy Alexandria more? Opportunities may be available at Black History, Fort Ward or Alexandria History Museum.
- Work with our museum collections? Opportunities may be available at Archaeology, Archives, Black History, Alexandria History Museum or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum.
- Help with research? Contact Alexandria Archaeology.
- Work with school children, or other special tour groups? Any of the museums may be able to use your help.
- Assist with Special Events? Archaeology, Black History, Gadsby's Tavern, or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum may need your help.
- Conduct Oral History interviews or prepare transcriptions? Learn about The Alexandria Oral History Center.
- Write State, Federal or local grants to help support our museums? Experience required – please contact Alexandria History Museum or Historic Alexandria Administration.
Not all sites or volunteer positions have space available, but museum staff will contact you in response to your application.
Other Ways to Support Historic Alexandria
Whether or not you volunteer, there are other ways to support history in Alexandria.
- Join a Friends Group.
- Subscribe to Alexandria eNews.
- Shop in our Museum Stores, in person or online.
- Make tax-deductible contributions to our museums or through our Friends groups.
- Tell us about objects, documents or photographs that you may have that are relevant to local history. Consider a donation to museum collections.
- Share your memories and stories of living and growing up in Alexandria, through The Alexandria Oral History Center.