Want to Get Involved in City Planning Processes?
Looking for more ways to get involved in Alexandria's planning processes? Consider these options:
Serve on a task force or attend a community meeting for a neighborhood planning or new development project
- Attend a Planning Commission, City Council, Board of Architectural Review or Board of Zoning Appeals hearing
- Serve on a board or commission related to planning issues
Become involved in your neighborhood’s civic association
- Find out what's happening in Alexandria: Current List of Events in Alexandria
- Stay informed with the City of Alexandria’s eNews service.
- Community Associations Map Viewer - Find the locations and other information for business, civic, community, neighborhood and homeowner associations, as well as condominiums and housing cooperatives.
- Interested in forming a neighborhood civic association? Civic associations are private organizations and are formed through operating documents and registration with the Commonwealth of Virginia State Corporation Commission. Private attorneys can assist with that filing.
What's Next Alexandria?
Through a series of community dialogues and online participation from September 2012 through June 2013, members of the community collaborated with City staff, and appointed and elected officials to talk about how Alexandrians can best participate in public decision-making processes that shape the city. The initiative focused on understanding how to use civic engagement to improve the partnership between community members and City staff.
Learn more about this process and the adoption of Alexandria's Civic Engagement Policy.
Resources and Information
Contact the Department of Planning and Zoning for questions related to engaging in City planning processes, 703.746.4666.