Our staff supports the City's two Boards of Architectural Review, the Old and Historic Alexandria District and the Parker-Gray District. We evaluate and provide recommendations for resources to be included in our collection of local and nationally designated historic districts. We analyze regulatory applications and evaluate proposed development plans to assess their impacts on historic resources. In addition, we provide public outreach with lectures, walking tours, and seminars to educate the public. Please contact our professional staff at 703.746.3833, Monday-Friday 8-5 p.m. and we will be happy to assist you.
- Alfred Street Baptist Church Presentation BAR Concept Review, February 15, 2017
- Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings in Del Ray
- The Del Ray Neighborhood Residential Pattern Book is now available online!
- Check here -OR-
- Ask Us!
- Email: email@example.com
- Call: 703.746.3833
- Ask Us!
- There are two historic districts and thirty-five, 100 Year Old Buildings locally designated and regulated in Alexandria. Two, separate Boards of Architectural Review (BAR) oversee the protection of the Old and Historic Alexandria District, the 100 Year Old Buildings and the Parker-Gray District. The Boards must approve a Certificate of Appropriateness for all new construction and exterior alterations for structures designated which are visible from a public way. In addition, the Boards must approve a Permit to Demolish for proposed demolition of more than 25 square feet of material on a structure, regardless of the visibility from a public way.
Design Guidelines & Policies
The Design Guidelines were developed for the Old & Historic Alexandria and Parker-Gray Districts to provide information and assistance to applicants in understanding the processes of the Boards of Architectural Review. These should be utilized as tools to assist in developing a design approach. The policies listed below outline the criteria and standards for administrative approval of select architectural features, including signs.
- Window Policy
- Roof Materials Policy
- Minor Architectural Elements Policy
- Sign Policy
- BAR Concept Review/Work Session Policy
- Parker-Gray Residential Reference Guide (RRG) used in conjunction with the Alphabetical List of Early and Late Buildings in the Parker-Gray District
- Alexandria's Zoning Ordinance
Applications & Instructions
- BAR Full Hearing Application for Certificate of Appropriateness, Permit to Demolish, Waivers, or Concept Review (PDF form)
- BAR Administrative (Staff) Approval (PDF form)
- BAR Administrative (Staff) Approval of Signs (PDF form)
- BAR Appeal Application (PDF form)
- BAR Minor Amendment Application (PDF form)
- BAR Concept Review Policy
- 2017 Old & Historic Alexandria District BAR Hearing Schedule
- 2017 Parker-Gray District BAR Hearing Schedule
- Fee Schedule
Dockets, Webcasts, and Staff Reports
- Old & Historic Alexandria District (April 1, 2009 - present)
- Old & Historic Alexandria District (January 1, 2000 - September 7, 2011)
- Parker-Gray District (September 12, 2012 - present)
- Parker-Gray District (April 1, 2009 - July 18, 2012)
- Parker-Gray District (January 12, 2000 - September 14, 2011)
Note: Due to a transition in the City's document management system in 2011, some overlap exists in the links above.
Historic Resource Survey of Old and Historic Alexandria District
The Department of Planning and Zoning's Historic Preservation Division has been working on surveying the Old and Historic District with the National Park Service and several state historic preservation offices. Please click here for more information.
The historic preservation division regularly trains and works with volunteers who are interested in contributing to the preservation of Alexandria's historic resources. If you are interested in a volunteer position please contact us.
- 10 Tips for Making Sure Your Contractor Measures Up
- Annual Letter to Property Owners
- Design Guidelines and Policies
- Alexandria Historic Light District
- Maintenance and Preservation of Historic Masonry
- National Park Service Historic Preservation Briefs
- National Register compared with Local Historic District
- National Register Listings
- National Register of Historic Places Information
- Tips for Finding an Architect or Contractor
- Virginia Department of Historic Resources: Federal and State Rehabilitation Tax Credits
- Virginia Department of
Historic Resources: Historic Registers Information
- 2015 Alexandria Contemporary Architecture Symposium
- BAR Waterfront Work Session Summary
- 2012 Del Ray Historic Preservation Conference
- 20th Century Buildings on the George Washington Memorial Parkway
Our office is open 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. We are within walking distance of the King Street Metro stop on the Blue and Yellow Lines and located near the bus and free trolley stop. Parking is available at meters on the street or in public parking garages nearby.
Department of Planning and Zoning
301 King Street, Suite 2100
Alexandria, Virginia 22313 (map)
Historic Preservation Staff
- Al Cox, Historic Preservation Manager, Architect
- Catherine Miliaras, Principal Planner
- Stephanie Sample, Urban Planner
- Amirah Lane, Senior Planning Technician