- Proposal to Consolidate Boards of
In April, City Council directed staff to initiate a text amendment to the City’s zoning ordinance and study the consolidation of the two Boards. The proposed BAR would oversee both locally-designated historic districts and operate under a common administrative framework. The proposed consolidation would make no changes to the separate boundaries and design guidelines for each district.
The City of Alexandria will hold two community meetings to discuss the proposed consolidation of the Old and Historic Alexandria District Board of Architectural Review and the Parker-Gray District Board of Architectural Review into a single Board of Architectural Review (BAR). The community meetings will be opportunities for residents to learn about the current BAR review process and provide input on the proposal, which is expected to be reviewed by the Planning Commission and City Council in the fall.
- Meeting 1 - Held on July 30
- Meeting 2 - September 17, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Charles Houston Recreation Center, 901 Wythe St.
- Community feedback is welcome anytime during this process! Comment or ask a question about this proposed consolidation by attending one of the community meetings, emailing us at email@example.com or calling 703.746.3833.
- Volunteers Needed for Old and Historic Alexandria District Architectural Survey
- Update to BAR Policies for Administrative Approval
- New BAR Policy for Administrative Approval of Gas Meters
- Click this interactive map -OR- Ask us
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 703.746.3833
- There are two historic districts and thirty-five, 100 Year Old Buildings locally designated and regulated in Alexandria. Two, separate Boards of Architectural Review (BAR) oversee the protection of the Old and Historic Alexandria District, the 100 Year Old Buildings and the Parker-Gray District. The Boards must approve a Certificate of Appropriateness for all new construction and exterior alterations for structures designated which are visible from a public way. In addition, the Boards must approve a Permit to Demolish for proposed demolition of more than 25 square feet of material on a structure, regardless of the visibility from a public way.
Design Guidelines & Policies
The Design Guidelines were developed for the Old & Historic Alexandria and Parker-Gray Districts to provide information and assistance to applicants in understanding the processes of the Boards of Architectural Review. These should be utilized as tools to assist in developing a design approach. The policies listed below outline the criteria and standards for administrative approval of select architectural features, including signs.
Old & Historic Alexandria District
Parker-Gray Historic District
- Parker-Gray Residential Reference Guide (RRG) used in conjunction with the Alphabetical List of Early and Late Buildings in the Parker-Gray District
- Alexandria New and Replacement Window Performance Specifications in the Historic Districts
- BAR Policy for Administrative Approval of Gas Meters
Applications & Instructions
- BAR Full Hearing Application for Certificate of Appropriateness, Permit to Demolish, Waivers, or Concept Review (PDF form)
- BAR Administrative (Staff) Approval (PDF form)
- BAR Administrative (Staff) Approval of Signs (PDF form)
- BAR Appeal Application (PDF form)
- BAR Minor Amendment Application (PDF form)
- BAR Concept Review Policy
- 2018 Old & Historic Alexandria District BAR Hearing Schedule ( Updated 06/14/2018)
- 2018 Parker-Gray District BAR Hearing Schedule ( Updated 05/31/2018)
- Fee Schedule
Historic Resource Survey of Old and Historic Alexandria District
The Department of Planning and Zoning's Historic Preservation Division has been working on surveying the Old and Historic District with the National Park Service and several state historic preservation offices. Please click here for more information.
The historic preservation division regularly trains and works with volunteers who are interested in contributing to the preservation of Alexandria's historic resources. If you are interested in a volunteer position please contact us.
- Annual Letter to Property Owners
- Alexandria Historic Light District
- Maintenance and Preservation of Historic Masonry
- National Park Service Historic Preservation Briefs
- National Register compared with Local Historic District
- National Register Listings in Alexandria
- National Register of
Historic Places Information
- Virginia Department of Historic Resources: Federal and State Rehabilitation Tax Credits
- The Del Ray Neighborhood Residential Pattern Book
- Art Deco & Streamline Moderne Buildings in Del Ray
- 2018 Alexandria Contemporary Architecture Symposium
- 2015 Alexandria Contemporary Architecture Symposium
- BAR Waterfront Work Session Summary
- 2012 Del Ray Historic Preservation Conference
Our office is located in the Planning and Zoning Department and we are open 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Department of Planning and Zoning
301 King Street, Room 2100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314 (map)
Historic Preservation Staff
- Al Cox, Historic Preservation Manager, Architect
- Catherine Miliaras, Principal Planner
- Stephanie Sample, Urban Planner
- Amirah Lane, Urban Planner