Waterfront Implementation Project Procurement
In 2019, City decided to pursue Progressive Design-Build as the method for executing the updated Waterfront Implementation Project. The key outcomes and benefits to the City will be a more collaborative owner-builder relationship and greater flexibility to scope to a budget while maximizing innovation and value for the City’s investment. The Progressive Design-Build team will provide market-based pricing based on the contractor’s actual plan for sequencing and prosecuting the work which will reduce the risk of designing and bidding something the City cannot ultimately afford to construct.
The City contracted with Carollo in 2020 to serve as the Owner-Advisor for the Waterfront Implementation Project. The team supported the City with cost estimates, consideration of resiliency options, and the development of a conceptual cost-based alternative for use in determining the Progressive Design-Build team’s required qualifications and scope of work.
Progressive Design-Build Team
Please note: the Procurement Information below is unofficial and subject to change. All formal procurement information will be advertised by the Purchasing Division via the Vendor Self Service Portal.
The procurement process to qualify and select a Progressive Design-Build Team will begin in Late Summer/Fall 2022. It is anticipated that the qualifications-based selection process is anticipated to take 12 to 14 months to complete after the initial advertisement of the RFQu.
Scope of Services and Project Delivery
Progressive Design-Build services will follow the following distinct phases:
- Phase 1 Services (Interim Agreement) include, but are not limited to:
- Completion of site investigations;
- Development of basis of design and initial cost estimates;
- Cost-benefit analyses in consideration of other Alternatives;
- Updates to Project design and costs at specific milestones (e.g. 30 percent, 60 percent, etc.) up to 60% design;
- Completion of pre-construction services;
- Identification and monitoring of project risks; and,
- Preparation, submission, and negotiation of a final design and construction commercial proposal for a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP)
- Phase 2 Services (Final Design, Permitting, and Construction) could include, but are not limited to:
- Completion of Project’s design (60%-Final) and
- Construction phase services
- Performance of post-construction tasks, such as commissioning and performance testing.
- Warranty/Limited Maintenance Period
A separate contract (or an extension of Design-Builder services) may provide Operation and Maintenance Consulting and Support Services:
- Phase 3 Services (Operation & Maintenance - O&M) (status unconfirmed), may include:
- Performance of extended commissioning services for either a short-term period of up to 3 years or a long-term O&M arrangement of a 5 to 20-year term).
- Request for Qualifications (RFQu)
- Pre-SOQ Meeting
- Statement of Qualifications (SOQ)
- Responsiveness and Responsibility Review
- Selection Committee Review
- City Manager Approval of Short-Listed DB Teams
- Request for Proposals (RFP) Issued to Short-Listed DB Teams
- Proprietary Meetings
- Proposals Prepared by Shortlisted Respondents and Submitted to the City for Review and Evaluation
- Proposal Review
- Proposal Scoring
- Selection Committee Review
- Public Hearing on Proposals
- Negotiation of Interim Agreement .
- City Council Review and Authorization of Interim Agreement
- Execution of Interim Agreement
|10/03/2022||City Advertised Request for Qualifications (RFQu)|
|10/17/2022||Pre-Proposal Meeting for Vendors|
|10/24/2022||Deadline for Receipt of Respondent Questions|
|11/07/2022||City Issues Responses to Respondent Questions via Amendment|
|11/18/2022||Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) Submission Deadline|
|01/13/2023||Shortlist Notification to Vendors|
|02/20/2023||RFP Issuance to Shortlisted Respondents|
|04/11/2023||Proposal Due Date|
|05/23/2023||City Council Public Hearing on Waterfront Implementation Project Proposals. No Council Action is anticipated.|
|06/27/2023||City Council Legislative Session review of Interim Agreement. Staff anticipates Council action and authorization to execute an Interim Agreement.|
|08/01/2023||Contract Award Anticipated|
*Schedule is subject to change based on periods of negotiation and/or grantor reviews. Vendors are to refer to the Purchasing website for all formal guidance and contract information.
- For more information about the Waterfront Implementation Project, please contact Matthew Landes, PLA, CCM, ISA, Portfolio Manager, Department of Project Implementation at 703.746.4122
- For more information about Waterfront Implementation Project Procurement, please contact Wynndell Bishop, Contracting Officer, Purchasing, at 703.746.4697
Procurement documents can be located by browsing to the City's Vendor Self Service Portal and search for Bid Number 1047