History and Background
The City Council established the Children, Youth and Families Collaborative Commission in June 2011, replacing the Early Childhood Commission and the Youth Policy Commission. It is comprised of community leaders and key staff of the City of Alexandria and Alexandria City Public Schools: twenty-five voting members and four non-voting members. Seventeen of the voting members are residents, four are city staff members, and four are staff members of Alexandria City Public Schools. Activities of the past year are featured in the 2015-16 CYFCC Annual Report.
In addition, CYFCC has seven committees comprised of commission members (who serve as committee chairs) and members of the community with a demonstrated interest in issues involving children, youth and families. The committees are the Executive Committee; Advocacy and Policy Committee; Finance and Grants Committee; Outreach and Membership Committee; Research and Data Committee; Implementation Monitoring Committee, and Community Engagement. Community members wishing to serve on a CYFCC committee should submit an application.
City's First Children and Youth Master Plan
The Children, Youth & Families Collaborative Commission developed the Children and Youth Master Plan as the basis for the coordination, alignment and delivery of effective services to all city children and youth from birth to 21 years-old and their families. Adopted by City Council on June 24, 2014 and by the ACPS School Board on May 17, 2014, the plan establishes long-term, community-wide priorities for youth as well as the specific action steps necessary to realize those priorities. The goals of the plan are to ensure that all children and youth are healthy and safe, academically and vocationally prepared, and socially and civically connected.
The Children, Youth and Families Collaborative Commission (CYFCC) has released its “Children and Youth Master Plan Five Year Report” that highlights successes combating issues that impact the lives of children and families in our community. Read the report
Champions of Children Awards 2019
The Children, Youth and Families Collaborative Commission honors individuals who have been instrumental in implementing the strategies of the Children and Youth Master Plan (CYMP). The Champions of Children Awards celebrate the unsung heroes in our community whose tireless efforts advance the CYMP goals. Awards will be Wednesday, June 12, 2019.
CYFCC Agendas & Meeting Notes
- November 2020 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- October 2020 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- March 2020 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- February 2020 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- December 2019 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- February 2019 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- January 2019 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- December 2018 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- November 2018/ Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- October 2018 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- September 2018 Agenda/ Meeting Notes
- May 2018
- April 2018 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- March 2018 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- February 2018 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- January 2018
Strategic Plans & Other Resources
- Alexandria Children and Youth Well-Being Data Profile 2016
- 2014-2015 CYFCC Annual Report - August 2015
- Alexandria Children & Youth Well-Being Profile 2013
- ACPS 2020: Every Student Succeeds - June 2016
- Developmental Assets: A Profile of Your Youth - June 2016
- Early Childhood Education Work Group's (ECEW) Common Agenda: Early Care and Education in Alexandria, VA - October 2015
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey 2013 - 2014 - October 2015
- A Needs Assessment of the Alexandria Human Services System - June 2008
Authorization to Use and Exchange Information
There is a recently updated Authorization to Use and Exchange Information Form that parents/guardians/adults are to use when requesting that confidential information about a child be disclosed/exchanged among City and School entities where allowable by law. The form is authorized for use by the City and Schools Staff Group and the Alexandria Community Policy and Management Team. The form is available in English, Spanish, Amharic and Arabic. Please use the form dated 1/23/2020 and discard outdated forms.
If there is a request to exchange information with the City’s Sexual Assault Center or Domestic Violence Program, this Authorization form is NOT allowable; complete the required form.