History and Background
The City Council established the Children, Youth and Families Collaborative Commission in June 2011, replacing the Early Childhood Commission and the Youth Policy Commission. It is comprised of community leaders and key staff of the City of Alexandria and Alexandria City Public Schools: twenty-five voting members and four non-voting members. Seventeen of the voting members are residents, four are city staff members, and four are staff members of Alexandria City Public Schools. Activities of the past year are featured in the 2015-16 CYFCC Annual Report.
In addition, CYFCC has seven committees comprised of commission members (who serve as committee chairs) and members of the community with a demonstrated interest in issues involving children, youth and families. The committees are the Executive Committee; Advocacy and Policy Committee; Finance and Grants Committee; Outreach and Membership Committee; Research and Data Committee; Implementation Monitoring Committee, and Community Engagement. Community members wishing to serve on a CYFCC committee should submit an application.
City's First Children and Youth Master Plan
The Children, Youth & Families Collaborative Commission developed the Children and Youth Master Plan as the basis for the coordination, alignment and delivery of effective services to all city children and youth from birth to 21 years-old and their families. Adopted by City Council on June 24, 2014 and by the ACPS School Board on May 17, 2014, the plan establishes long-term, community-wide priorities for youth as well as the specific action steps necessary to realize those priorities. The goals of the plan are to ensure that all children and youth are healthy and safe, academically and vocationally prepared, and socially and civically connected.
Champions of Children Awards 2018
The Children, Youth and Families Collaborative Commission honors individuals who have been instrumental in implementing the strategies of the Children and Youth Master Plan (CYMP). The Champions of Children Awards celebrate the unsung heroes in our community whose tireless efforts advance the CYMP goals. Awards will Awardees will be Wednesday, June 13, 2018.
CYFCC Agendas & Meeting Notes
- March 2018 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- February 2018 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- January 2018 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- December 2017 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- October 2017 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- September 2017 Agenda / Meeting Notes
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- Agenda & Meeting Notes Archive
Strategic Plans & Other Resources
- Alexandria Children and Youth Well-Being Data Profile 2016
- 2014-2015 CYFCC Annual Report - August 2015
- Alexandria Children & Youth Well-Being Profile 2013
- ACPS 2020: Every Student Succeeds - June 2016
- Developmental Assets: A Profile of Your Youth - June 2016
- Early Childhood Education Work Group's (ECEW) Common Agenda: Early Care and Education in Alexandria, VA - October 2015
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey 2013 - 2014 - October 2015
- A Needs Assessment of the Alexandria Human Services System - June 2008