On September 17, 2016, the Alexandria City Council voted unanimously to begin the process of renaming Jefferson Davis Highway in Alexandria. This action followed the recommendation of the Ad Hoc Advisory Group on Confederate Memorials and Street Names.
On May 19, 2017, Alexandria City Manager Mark B. Jinks announced the appointment of an Ad Hoc Advisory Group on Renaming Jefferson Davis Highway, to solicit public feedback and consider potential new names for a portion of U.S. Route 1. Since City Council has already voted to begin the renaming process, the Advisory Group is only seeking input on potential new names, and not on whether the name should be changed.
On August 10, 2017, the Advisory Group launched an online survey and scheduled two public hearings to solicit potential new names:
- Please use this survey to submit name suggestions through September 15, 2017.
- The Advisory Group will hold a public hearing on September 25, 2017, for those who wish provide feedback in person. The Advisory Group’s final meeting is expected to be held on October 5, at which a recommendation to the City Manager would be adopted. Both meetings will be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., at a location to be determined. (Note that the public hearing previously scheduled for August 17 has been cancelled.)
- The Advisory Group is contacting residents and businesses on Jefferson Davis Highway via postal mail, to ensure they are aware of the opportunity to provide input.
Meetings and Public Hearings
Thursday, June 15, 2017, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
City Hall (301 King St.), Sister Cities Conference Room 1101
- At the Advisory Group's first meeting, the members adopted a schedule for a survey, meetings, and public hearings.
- This meeting has been cancelled.
- This meeting will consist of a public hearing for those present who wish to speak, followed by discussion by members of the Advisory Group.
- This is expected to be the final meeting of the Advisory Group, during which the members would have final discussion and adopt a recommendation to the City Manager. This meeting is not expected to include a public hearing.
The Advisory Group includes the following members:
- Laurie MacNamara (chair), Alexandria
- Lynnwood Campbell, Alexandria
- Gerry Laporte, Arlington
- Elmer Lowe, Sr., Arlington
For additional information, please contact Craig Fifer, Director of Communications and Public Information, at email@example.com or 703.746.3965.