( En español.)
How To Pay a Parking Ticket
The City offers the option of paying parking tickets online, by phone, by mail, or in person. For more information, visit the Payments page.
Pay a Ticket
The City cannot accept online payments for enforcement of the Northern Virginia Local Motor Vehicle License Compact (City Code 10-4-37.1) or for parking tickets issued to booted or impounded vehicles (City Code 3-2-336, 10-4-37, or 10-4-37.1). Boot violations must be resolved before the parking ticket may be paid. The vehicle owner or designee may pay in person at City Hall or mail the payment by check or money order. Checks or money orders should include the ticket numbers in the memo field. Returned checks are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law.
For assistance with payments, please contact the City's Treasury Division by email or by telephone at 703.746.3902.
How to Request Information about a Parking Citation
Vehicle owners wishing to request information about a specific parking citation may do so here or view all open tickets for a specific vehicle by entering the vehicle's license plate number and state here.
How to Contest a Parking Ticket
There are two ways to contest a parking ticket:
1. Administrative Review:
- Under certain circumstances, a ticket may be eligible for administrative review by City staff without going to court. To be eligible, the registered vehicle owner or their designee must submit a request within 10 calendar days of the issue date of the parking ticket, and one of the following circumstances must apply:
- The violation did not occur, or the ticket was issued in error, or
- The registered owner was not responsible, or
- There were extenuating circumstances, such as a medical emergency.
- The result of the Administrative Review will be to either dismiss or uphold the ticket. If the ticket is upheld, the vehicle owner must either pay the original ticket amount plus a $10 administrative review fee, or contest the ticket in Alexandria General District Court . A $25 penalty applies to any ticket not paid or contested within 30 days of issuance.
- To request Administrative Review, complete the online request form .
2. General District Court:
- If a ticket is not eligible for Administrative Review or has been upheld after Administrative Review, it may be appealed to the Alexandria General District Court within three years of the date the parking ticket was issued.
- Hearings must be scheduled in advance and cannot be scheduled in person. Hearings are scheduled Monday through Friday at 9:30 a.m., subject to the availability of court and police personnel. All persons scheduled for the 9:30 a.m. hearing must be in court at 9:30 a.m., but each person's case will be called sometime after 9:30 a.m. If you have been assigned a hearing but cannot appear at that time, contact the General District Court at 703.746.4041. The Court will decide what course of action you must take.
- To schedule a hearing, the vehicle owner must complete a separate affidavit for each parking ticket. To request a copy of the affidavit form, ask questions about completing the affidavit, or to check on the status of a request for the hearing, call 866.353.0454. Representatives will not be able to address specific inquiries regarding individual parking tickets or payments.
- Each affidavit must be notarized and mailed with a copy of the parking ticket and a copy of the vehicle owner's driver's license to City of Alexandria, P.O. Box 1423, Alexandria, VA, 22313-1423.
- Once an affidavit is submitted, the ability to prepay the ticket is forfeited and the request to schedule a court hearing cannot be removed or adjusted by the City.
- If the parking ticket is not dismissed by the Court, the vehicle owner may be responsible for paying the original amount of the parking ticket, plus court costs (typically $63). The total amount due will be at the discretion of the judge hearing the case.