Heavy Vehicle Parking
Heavy Vehicle Parking Restrictions in Commercial Areas
Due to community concerns and complaints, the City of Alexandria has passed an ordinance to limit parking of heavy vehicles (greater than 12,000 pounds and/or longer than 30 feet in length) to two hours in commercial areas when not actively loading or unloading.
On Saturday, March 12, 2022, the Council voted to increase fines for violations of Sec. 10-4-46.
Violations of Sec. 10-4-46 will be fined:
- $100 for the first violation
- $250 for the second violation
- $350 for the third and any subsequent violation, and the vehicle may by removed or immobilized.
- The Council approved increased fines for violations of Sec. 10-4-46 on March 12, 2022. The docket is available here.
- Increased fines were considered by the Traffic and Parking Board on Monday, February 28. The Board recommended the Council increase fines for violations of the ordinance.
- The ordinance was considered by City Council at a public hearing on Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 9:30AM. Council unanimously recommended approval. The docket is available here.
- The proposed ordinance to restrict heavy vehicle parking was considered by the Traffic and Parking Board on Monday January 25, 2021. The Traffic and Parking Board unanimously recommended that City Council approve the proposed ordinance. The meeting docket with the ordinance language is available here.
- Heavy Vehicles - Vehicles greater than 12,000 pounds or longer than 30 feet.
- Commercial Areas - Commercial, mixed use, and office zones and adjacent to commercial land uses, including but not limited to retail, restaurant, daycare, center, and office, in industrial zones.