Community Advisory Board
Specifically, the CAB will advise the Sheriff's Office to:
- Plan, develop, implement community programs with the goal of fostering better community and law enforcement relations;
- Educate the community with regard to the programming and service needs of Detention Center and reentering community members;
- Assist and support reentering community member programs;
- Support ASO staff in achieving work-life balance; and
- Implement such other measures as the Sheriff and the Board jointly determine to be appropriate.
Membership is drawn from from among the following agencies and organizations:
• 1 representative from the Alexandria Public Defender’s Office
• 1 representative from the Alexandria Office of Probation and Parole
• 1 representative from Alexandria Department of Community and Human Services
• 1 representative from the faith community in Alexandria
• 1 representative of the local business community
• 1representatve from a local institution of higher education
• 1 representative of a relevant local non-profit organization
• 1 representative of the Alexandria School Board
• No fewer than two (2) and no more than eight (8) members at-large, preferably from a variety of communities across the city
• 2 or more members of the Alexandria Sheriff’s Office
Participating agencies will nominate representatives to serve, while at-large representatives are self-nominated. Membership becomes effective upon acceptance by the Sheriff’s Office. Board members serve for a term of two years and may serve multiple terms. Current CAB members include co-chairs Rosemarie Davis and Janice McLean, as well as Tracey Cain, Loren DePina, Nora Elnahas, Jessica Rodgers, Linda Royal-Kirby, Michael Strutzel, Megan Thomas and Fernando Torrez.
Board membership requires approximately two to three hours per month, generally concentrated at the monthly CAB meetings usually held the first Tuesday of each month at 8:30 a.m. in the administrative offices of the Alexandria Sheriff's Office at 2003 Mill Road.
For more information on Board membership or the CAB, contact David Nye at 703.746.5169.